CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

98 ETC Temperature Rising

I drove my car up a one-mile rather steep hill at about 30-35mph last nite, and it heated up to 230.  Is this cause for alarm? :angry:

Outside temp? AC? How long? All this counts. 230 is not much under certain conditions.

EIT: Ok, it took some 2 minutes... If the engine was warmed up to some 200 in two minutes driving up hill it could get 230 easily if the temp is about 90 and the AC was on.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Just for the hell of it, check your water pump tensioner and belt for slipping.

In addition you may keep the temp rise down by taking the shifter out of OD and putting it into D, which will cause the engine to turn higher RPM's and circulate the water pump faster.

• 5 years later...

I have just been through some engine temperature problems which necessitated a replaced radiator and heater core. After that I was still losing coolant so I took it to my mechanic who put ceramic sealant in it. That seems to have stopped the coolant leak. It isn't showing up on my garage floor, nor am I having to add coolant every other day. But the temperature still climbs when I am in traffic. On the freeway it holds pretty well around 197-200. But around town it can get to 230. What is the normal temperature range around town? Should I be concerned or, as this thread suggest, not worry at 230? Thanks.

I have just been through some engine temperature problems which necessitated a replaced radiator and heater core. After that I was still losing coolant so I took it to my mechanic who put ceramic sealant in it. That seems to have stopped the coolant leak. It isn't showing up on my garage floor, nor am I having to add coolant every other day. But the temperature still climbs when I am in traffic. On the freeway it holds pretty well around 197-200. But around town it can get to 230. What is the normal temperature range around town? Should I be concerned or, as this thread suggest, not worry at 230? Thanks.

WOW! Congratulations on taking the time to dig up a six year old thread !!

First note; locating and repairing an external leak is by far the better solution. Adding some unknown aftermarket "ceramic sealant" would be the last thing I did before the car was crushed and melted.

Second note; there are several "normal" scenarios for stop and go traffic conditions. With your A/C ON, you will probably not see any coolant temperature fluctuation at all.

With your A/C OFF and ambient temperature above 70 degrees F, you can expect to see the coolant temperature rise to something like 225 F at which time the fans will come on and pull air through the condenser & radiator to reduce the coolant temperature. The fans will shut off at about 210 F and the whole cycle will repeat. Normal, expected, operating as designed.

The variables are ambient temperature, vehicle speed, and A/C ON or OFF.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived