CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My Poor Caddy!!!!!

Hit a deer last night doing about 80 kms/hr, strange thing is i diddnt feel a thing, stranger thing is my buddy who was following me in his deville, hit a deer in the exact same spot a year ago and wrote off his old deville, lucky for him i was runnin blocker this time..... be back on the road next week with new hood, grill, lights, and paint job, guess some things arent all that bad!

post-3-1119995396_thumb.jpg

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

Wow,

Bad luck, but it could have been much worse if the airbags had gone off. :(

I hope that you get her back in shape soon.

Britt

Britt

I'm glad you are OK. How come the air bags did not go off? That looks like the front end was compressed enough to set them off. Does insurance cover this?

Deer are VERY prolific. Here in Southern Illinois, I got up this morning to find a 4 point buck (in velvet) in my back yard feeding on some trees & vines. Between here & town, small herds of deer graze at the roadside, unafraid of traffic. At least once a week, sometimes more, I see fresh deer road kill. The state has a truck & crew that is dedicated to picking up deer carcasses. It wasn't always this way. Back in the 20's & 30's my grandfather, who spent as much time hunting quail as anybody I knew, said that he "thought" that he saw a deer once. I believe that Reader's Digest had an article that called them "Rats With Antlers".

Britt

Britt

Deer are VERY prolific....

.... I believe that Reader's Digest had an article that called them "Rats With Antlers".

Britt

Likewise the "small' deer in the rural south. And their food of choice is hostas.

I'm in favor of a 12 month no restriction hunting season.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I'm in favor of a 12 month no restriction hunting season.

I'd likely be a vegan if I had to hunt my own meat, but I'd welcome your 12 month season.

I agree. There should be a bounty on them rather than a licence fee.

I like that idea too! :P

Damned shame about that fine car.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

The auto-deer problem here is South Jersey is very similar. A combination of causes is to blame - not the least being that the automobile is probably the only real predator that the deer has to fear. From March through November you can see deer carcasses of all sizes on the sides of most rural roads around here, and the Garden State Parkway and AC Expressway are not immune either. I probably know a dozen people who have had deer encounters in the last decade or so.

I've had two near-hits myself (thank you, George Carlin...) - about four years ago I was headed to a golf course at about 40MPH and one jumped clear across the road in front of my Suburban - I can't have missed it by more than a foot. Never even had time to hit the brakes - just saw the brown blur go by..Then earlier this year in the Deville, I was headed out to Salem and came across one just standing in the middle of the road about 100 yards ahead of me. I hit the brakes to slow, and the darn stupid thing didn't run off until I was about 10 feet in front of it.

I just try to be extra careful when driving along back roads where deer are liable to be, which is just about anywhere short of the corner of Atlantic Ave and MLK Blvd in Atlantic City...lol

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard P. Feynman

user posted image

darn shame about your car. Glad you are OK. It is funny about the air bags. When I had a deer jump into my truck the air bags did not go off even though the whole front end got trashed. The engineers did a good job at GM in working out the proper setting for those things. It would have sucked to have them go off unless they absolutely had too. Good luck with the repairs, hope you have the car back looking good soon.

bet hitting a moose might slow you down qwick enough.

Air bag sensors act on deceleration of the vehicle not an impact like a deer. Hitting something like a deer does not slow the car appreciable so there is no way the air bags should go off. They just do not work like that.

Thanks, Guru. I was curious about that. Makes perfect sense.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I hit one last year and had almost identical damage.

The bill was $5000 New hood, fender, headlight assembly and paint. I just had a new bumber installed prior for 2K and it remained unharmed. I have the Diamond white paint and that was the pain in the rear.

Mike

That is very interesting about the air bag sensors. I "used" to think they were in the front area of a car so they would be impacted during a collision, in turn setting off the bags. But you say it is deceleration that is the trigger. I wish it made -perfect sence to me. It's deceleration from a crash, a very violent deceleration. Hmm. So now I guess when it comes to those side air bags that some cars have they must use different sensors. Those must measure impact I guess?? or can they work the same. I would think you could be hit hard on the side and still keep forward momentium right??

Archived