CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Northstar FYI

stsjoe

If you lose the serpentine belt you can go at least 35 miles at 75MPH with only the DRL's on, Don't ask me how I know just take my word for it!(battery is 4 yrs olds and these things are a MOFO to steer with no power steering :lol:

Enjoy your Sunday people, Joe

That is one thing nice about the N*, loosing the serpentine belt doesn't stop the water pump like almost every other vehicle on the road today! :)

Britt

That is one thing nice about the N*, loosing the serpentine belt doesn't stop the water pump like almost every other vehicle on the road today! :)

I didn't know that. What keeps the water pump running?? Is it electric or something?

IPB Image

I didn't know that. What keeps the water pump running?? Is it electric or something?

The water pump is driven by a seperate belt off the left bank intake cam.

Holy cow!! I do wish I had the N* over my 4.9 --- Engine cooling is the one read out I keep on my information center 99% of the time. I'm very scared to over heat this engine. I still bounce back and forth to my Charging volts many many times though making sure that is good . Maybe someday I will have my newer STS with a N*. One can only dream....

I really do like the extra security of having a dedicated water pump drive belt. All the belts are rubber...I suppose it's just as easy to break the water pump drive belt as the main one. I do admit that there's a fantastically higher load/stress on the main serpentine belt.

I applaud the engineers of many makes for designing remote water pumps. I remember the days when you had to tear the front half of the engine off to change a water pump. My wife's old Saturn (a '97 SC2 that she had when we got married) had a serpentine belt-driven water pump. And it appears the 3.3L in our Grand Caravan also has a belt-driven water pump. It's just GOT to make changing it easier. I know it is on the Northstar. For those engines with only one belt doing the turning, I guess it just makes it that much more important to periodically inspect it.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Someone would have to be chasing me with a gun to make me drive seventy-five miles with no powersteering on these Cadillacs. I did drive my Eldo across a parking lot once when the idler pulley bearing came apart.

Talk about taking the front of the engine off in the old days to change the waterpump, the Chrysler 2.7 engine has the water pump below the valley similar to the starter on the N* but lower, behind the front cover. It is driven by the same chain that drives the cams. It may have a weep hole, but if it does You won't know you have a leak until the water shows up in the oil. To get the the waterpump out involves taking the front of the eng off and to do that and to re-time the cams you save time by taking the front of the car off. Often, you can get a waterpump changed on the 2.7 V6 for as little $750-800.

Cleatus. :(

Someone would have to be chasing me with a gun to make me drive thirty-five miles with no powersteering on these Cadillacs. I did drive my Eldo across a parking lot once when the idler pulley bearing came apart.

Talk about taking the front of the engine off in the old days to change the waterpump, the Chrysler 2.7 engine has the water pump below the valley similar to the starter on the N* but lower, behind the front cover. It is driven by the same chain that drives the cams. It may have a weep hole, but if it does You won't know you have a leak until the water shows up in the oil. To get the the waterpump out involves taking the front of the eng off and to do that and to re-time the cams you save time by taking the front of the car off. Often, you can get a waterpump changed on the 2.7 V6 for as little $750-800.

Cleatus. :(

Archived