CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Odd A/c Problem

stswulf

When I turn on my A/c it is slow to cool and leaves a nasty film on my windows on the inside…looked under the hood and just below the windshield –line there is what looks to be a missing plastic part that covered a inspection hole.

This hole blows out air, and when covered the A/c blows harder. Wondering it I should cover it and with what… that will take care of the film as well

It a 96 STS

When I turn on my A/c it is slow to cool and leaves a nasty film on my windows on the inside…looked under the hood and just below the windshield –line there is what looks to be a missing plastic part that covered a inspection hole.

This hole blows out air, and when covered the A/c blows harder. Wondering it I should cover it and with what… that will take care of the film as well

It a 96 STS

I got the "nasty film" all the time right before my heater core went out....Dealership replaced the heater core a total of 3 times....I can't stand that film ...lol

A.J.

It a 96 STS

Do you notice a sweet smell almost like a maple donut? If so, you should replace the heater core before it pukes coolant all over the carpet.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

stswulf,

There is a small rectangular plate that should cover that hole. I would get some Aluminum autobody repair tape & cover the hole up. That should solve your slow A/C problem.

As far as the film on the windows, it still could be a heater core. Are you losing any antifreeze? If so, I would get that core changed out before it blows & leaves you stranded. Be sure to get one that has the metal tanks instead of the factory one with the plastic tanks. I bought one at AutoZone for less than $40.00 & they had it in stock. It fit fine and I was actually surprised at the ease that it was to change.

Britt

Britt

It dosen't take very much anti freeze to cause that film to form.

Britt

I am amazed that someone would cut that panel out to clean the evaporator and not patch it back up. That's kind of like drilling a hole in your garden hose and wondering why there is no water pressure. Like Navion said a good heavy guage aluminum tape should make it as good as new. Like everyone else I agree that it should have nothing to do with a film on the windows and that is very indicative of a leaking heater core.

Archived