CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1992 Seville suspension

Caddynut

I have a 1992 Seville and it has reached its point of needing new struts all the way around. I don't even think I am going to attempt to change the front struts, but I was going to attempt to change the rear ones. I need some advice...is there anything specific I need to know or any special tools that I would need??? I have changed a million shock absorbers in my life, but never anything like my Seville has. Thanks. :unsure:

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

I would buy the service manual for your car, read it, and familiarize yourself with the car as much as possible. Usually you can find one used on ebay at a substantial savings over the usual $110 that's charged when bought new.

If you want to buy one new, you can get it at:

http://www.helminc.com

That car has electronic struts and the message "Service Ride Control" should be manually turned off after you replace the electronic struts with passive struts. I believe Cadillac no longer makes the electronic struts for that car so your only choice will be passive struts. I too have the 92 Seville with 4 passive struts and the car rides great so you will not be disappointed after you do the switchover.

You will need to do a wheel alignment after you change the struts, there's no getting around it. I let my mechanic change all the struts and do the alignment.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

i would recommend Chilton repair manual for your car (some 20-25$). My Chilton have done great helping me out everytime i fixed something. It has great illustrations and comrehensive guide how to remove and install stuff. As for struts you definitely need a coill spring compressor. I ams ure you have one, if you did the job before.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Go to the home page here, FAQ's..Lots of info on this subject, particullarly pertaining to '92's (Bruce's original STS) Here's a link that may get you there, otherwise just go to the upper left hand corner...

http://www.caddyinfo.com/disableccr.htm

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

The rear shocks can be replaced with basic hand tools. Unlike the newer Sevilles, the rear struts on the 92s uses a transverse lead spring, so no strut compressor is needed. Really easy job, can be done in a few hours.

Archived