CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Advice on PO56

kcd1184

I have been getting code PO56 fairly often the past two weeks. I have the Helm service manual but I,m not an electrical guy. Anybody know where this code might be taking me?

Kent

Kent.

The P056 (E056) Transmission Input Speed Sensor is located inside the side cover. It's the $20 parrt, $2000 deep inside the trans. Trans removal required.

I'm really not sure. The only thing I can think of is look for the symptoms of that code in the manual. Maybe someone else knows more about it.

What could happen as a result of this code's appearance. When the code comes on, nothing seems to be affected.

Kent

Ken,

I had this intermittantly with my 93 Eldorado. I learned to ignore it because of the forementioned cost to repair. It would occur most of the time in the summer when the car was hot and I had been driving it hard. Usually (but not always) would go away once the car was shut off and fully cooled down...

The noticeable symtoms I had and others noted were that it would shift quite hard and firm, and it would jack the idle up slightly. For example I would have to hold my foot on the brake pretty good after I had the code pop up as current while parking her in the garage. It was pretty noticeable, I'm surprised yours isn't...

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

I had this intermittantly with my 93 Eldorado. I learned to ignore it because of the forementioned cost to repair. It would occur most of the time in the summer when the car was hot and I had been driving it hard. Usually (but not always) would go away once the car was shut off and fully cooled down...

The noticeable symtoms I had and others noted were that it would shift quite hard and firm, and it would jack the idle up slightly. For example I would have to hold my foot on the brake pretty good after I had the code pop up as current while parking her in the garage. It was pretty noticeable, I'm surprised yours isn't...

I have been having the same trouble sprucegoose has been having in my 94 Concours now for about 4 years. My manual says that a high powered radio signal in the area can cause intermittents. Until my light stays on all the time I ignore it. Also a plug wire too close to the wire harness can cause it also. I can live with an occasional hard shift.

Archived