CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Dumb Question

Poobah

I have heard many references, on this board and elsewhere, to using a clay bar to remove paint oxidation.

What, exactly, is a clay bar? How and when is it used? What is it's benefit compared to polish?

Please enlighten me.

Thanks in advance,

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

A clay bar is used to clean surface contaminants off paint. It's not used for polishing at all. It's not an abrasive. To the contrary, it's used with lubricant (like the Speed Shine type products) to prevent it from sticking to the paint (which it will if it dries). Obviously, only use a clay bar on the car that's designed for automotive finishes. Play-Doh won't work. Many companies sell a clay bar nowadays; many sell kits with a terrycloth rag and lubricant along with the bar for like 20 bucks. After you clay your entire car and wax it, it's smoother than glass. You thought your paint is smooth now...wait 'till after you clay it.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I use Meguiar's Clay Bar see a description here:

http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_det...System&sku=G-11

As Jason said, the clay bar leaves your car like glass removing all types of sap, spots, tar, bird dakky, etc... I love it...

Mothers also has a clay bar

Mike

I'd never heard of "claying" a car until a year or so ago, and I must admit they do the job. From what I've read, the "clay bar" was invented by a Japanese engineer. It's designed to lift all manner of contaminants from your paint, including wax, polish, environmental degradation, and so on - leaves the paint in about the same condition it was as it rolled off the factory floor.

The important things to remember about claying are : 1) keep it lubricated - nearly any QD spray is OK, if you don't buy a package with a lubricating medium included; and 2) claying is the first step. It will remove virtually ALL post-factory applied finishes. After you clay, many people (myself included) use a cleaner/prep like Klasse AIO, followed by a coat or two of polish, followed by a wax.

I just finished doing an AIO/Klasse SG/P21S job on my Black Eldo, and it looks pretty darn good, if I may say so myself.. :)

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard P. Feynman

user posted image

Will a clay bar remove chewing gum from paint?

I suppose that it will remove swirl marks that some jerk who shouldn't be allowed near a buffer left.

Britt

Britt

I didn't know the clay bar removes wax. I'm glad you mentioned that, JimHare, because I remember claying the car without knowing I was actually removing the wax too.

Britt, I don't think clay will remove swirl marks. For that, you'd need either a filler or an abrasive I'd think.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

For the swirls you are going ot need a polish. Id talk to someone at a good body shop near you. When its polished correctly by someone who knows what they are doing (this is important as polish takes off layers of paint\clearcoat) the car will look just about brand new. Its absolutely amazing what can be dont to what you would think its a spent paint job.

I suppose that it will remove swirl marks that some jerk who shouldn't be allowed near a buffer left.

Britt

I met that S.O.B.

ONCE!

I was enough,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

The main reason I don't have my car detailed is because of detailers that use buffers creating swirls and burning the clear-coat off... I will use the "wax-on, wax-off" method while exercising my tricepts and fingers, thank you...

My wife had her 86 Corvette detailed 4 times a year and the clearcoat was burned off....

Archived