CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Extending Spark Plug Wire Life

taiorlvb

Hello....This may sound like a silly question but, I was wondering if it was possible to extend the life of spark plug wires. My 94 SLS only has 54K on it. I heard that coating them with silicone will help. Is there truth to this statement? Thanks again for your help!

Vince

Hello....This may sound like a silly question but, I was wondering if it was possible to extend the life of spark plug wires. My 94 SLS only has 54K on it. I heard that coating them with silicone will help. Is there truth to this statement? Thanks again for your help!

Vince

How about olive oil? :D Do nothing, replace only when they act up. Mine are fine after 14 years and 144.*** miles.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Vince

I think the silicone will break down the plug wire insulation. Just leave them alone - when the engine begins to misfire, mist the wires with water and look for arcing when it's dark outside.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Fla. heat can't be any worse than underhood heat in Ill. Mine were fine til they were disturbed during the fuel rail recall. Don't mess with them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Fla. heat can't be any worse than underhood heat in Ill. Mine were fine til they were disturbed during the fuel rail recall. Don't mess with them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Exactly. You have close to 200 under the hood and the ambient teps between 60 and 90 in Florida. I think winter in PA is harder on wires since the temp. gradients (0-200) that's what counts.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Still have original wires with about 184K. I leave em alone-don't worry about it. When they finally crap-out I'll buy ACDelco. Why look for trouble! Olive oil... :lol: Does it really work? :blink:

Archived