CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

blower replacement

joeb

i notice that the blower housing on the firewall is marked with "cut here" or something like that. i replaced my plugs wires and when i leaned on the plastic firewall a chunk about the size of my fist broke out. how do you patch something like this? the whole firewall seems very brittle on my car. use duct tape? won't stick in the underhood heat.

i cut my housing to replace the blower and several chunks of plastic broke off in the process. I sealed it up with duct tape .... not standard duct tape, but aluminum duct tape. it sticks to the plastic, is strong and has held up for 18 months so far.

i was well aware that some have been able to do that, i got the old one out with that method, but could not put the new one in that way ... and if i remember right, the old fan broke in the process. maybe there is somewhat more clearance on different models/years.

The motors have been redisigned and must be installed in one piece. There is no inertial plate that can be removed. I got mine installed with a little persuasion. The other option is removing the dog bones and rock the engine forward to give you the extra 2 or 3 inches needed for clearance.

On mine the fan pulls apart from the housing exposing the copper winding and circuit board, good time to clean the windings. There is 3 electrical connectors to plug the 2 together. The fan will slip in then just plug the 2 together and attach the thick metal plate. Tried to pry the engine forward but I think you must need a come along or hoist of some sort. The platic all came off the box so the opening I cut a tin can , applied a gasket of silicone and screwed it down, learned that one here.

Scottfc, yes you are correct about the fan but what I was saying is that they have been redisigned and if you ever have to replace it the new one will be one piece. I haven't tried it but my understanding is to rock the engine all you need to do is remove the dog bones and rock the car while in park. No need ffor a come along. I found this out AFTER I did the blower motor, unfortunately.

Scottfc, yes you are correct about the fan but what I was saying is that they have been redisigned and if you ever have to replace it the new one will be one piece. I haven't tried it but my understanding is to rock the engine all you need to do is remove the dog bones and rock the car while in park. No need ffor a come along. I found this out AFTER I did the blower motor, unfortunately.

I think you need to loosen the cradel bolts in order to rock the engine forward. Even so, it's not that bad of a job.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I just replaced mine with the "new one and improved model". I tried all the above methods to replace the fan & blower none of which worked I had to cut the housing to get the new one in.

I removed the dog bones and rocked the motor forward... wouldn't fit.

Left the dog bones off removed and loosened everything i needed to lower the front portion of the cradle.... still wouldn't fit.

Cut the housing inserted the new and improved fan/blower assembly and then I re-assemblied everything else that I removed to try and get the fan/blower in without cutting the housing. So I took a 1/2 hr job and turned it into a full day project.

What I did was cut the housing and kept that portion of the housing and attached it to the new fan/blower assy. After bolting the new fan/blower in with the housing piece attached I used quick dry JB weld to bridge any gaps between the housing and the removed housing piece. Then I used a hi temp silcon to "glue" the portion of outer housing back in place and fill in any voids that I couldn't fill with the JB Weld.

Then I drank a bunch of liquid refreshments bitching about how I would like the meet the engr who thought that whole deal up.

Dennis

WOW! I guess I got lucky. I talked to a mechanic at the local Caddy dealer and he said to "persuade" it. So I did. After getting it in about 3/4 of the way I used a big pry bar as a "shoe horn" against the cam cover and popped it in. Just as he said, everything gave a little and nothing broke. Obviously my HVAC housing was not brittle or it would have disintegrated. Had it done in an hour or two.

• 4 months later...

I think you need to loosen the cradel bolts in order to rock the engine forward. Even so, it's not that bad of a job.

So to replace my blower motor, do I need to remove the dog bones and then loosen or remove the cradle bolts to tilt the motor forward? Where are these cradle bolts? And to rock the car in park, is that doing it by hand and not starting the car?

I got the old one out without too much trouble, but the new one can't be taken apart like the old one.

but the new one can't be taken apart like the old one

This is the "fun" I had with my replacement (got it from Advanced Auto) and why I had to remove the blower wheel from inside the car.

The factory motor could be pulled apart to clear the valve cover. I assume that if I had purchased an OEM replacement part, it would have gone back in the same way, but the cost difference was enough to buy the aftermarket unit.

It's sort of a toss-up between rocking the engine forward or being upside-down under the dash.

Good luck!

but the new one can't be taken apart like the old one

This is the "fun" I had with my replacement (got it from Advanced Auto) and why I had to remove the blower wheel from inside the car.

The factory motor could be pulled apart to clear the valve cover. I assume that if I had purchased an OEM replacement part, it would have gone back in the same way, but the cost difference was enough to buy the aftermarket unit.

It's sort of a toss-up between rocking the engine forward or being upside-down under the dash.

Good luck!

I bought the OEM replacement motor from a caddy dealer off eBay for $182.00 including shipping. The new one is supposedly an improved model...but it does not come apart to facilitate the install like the old one.

I saw the post about doing it from the inside...do you think that technique will apply to a '94 Deville? I was considering doing it that way...maybe easier??? So it was "fun" huh?

Archived