CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Test Drove a 96 STS in Moose Jaw

I took a 1996 STS out for a test drive on Tuesday evening when I happened to be in Moose Jaw on other business. I have seen that car there for roughly 2 years on the Ford lot and have taken a cruise past it everytime I've been out. It is a full on, fully loaded STS, only 100,000 kms (60,000 miles), 7 spoke chrome wheels, sunroof, heated leather, black, etc. The guy started off telling me list price was $18,900 which I knew was B.S. I had seen the car advertised roughly a year ago for around $16,000. The salesman was kick *smurf* about everything though, got the keys right away, got a plate right away, let me drive it right off the lot to the highway and I really opened it up.

Now I had only driven a 94 SLS before (the 95 Eldo got loaded and unloaded from the trailer) and I was so wide eyed by how much power it had throughout the RPM. I had a buddy of mine along with me and I pulled out to pass a car at 100 km/h, I floored it and he said that the speedo jumped from 100 to 140 instantly. The roads were a little slick so I did not want to push it too hard.

Anyways, long story short, I told the salesman when we got back to the dealer that I knew the $18,900 was inflated, he nodded, went and talked to the sales manager and came back with "$14,500 plus tax" written on a piece of paper. I asked to borrow a calculater at this time, I punched in 12000/1.14 (minus the sales tax). I told him I would give them $12000 tax in and take it off their lot. Goes back to the sales manager, come back with the sales manager and he says he really wants to see the car off the lot but he needs to talk to the owner about the price. I gave him all my information and he said he was going to call me the next day about it. I have yet to recieve a call :o . I am going to Moose Jaw again this weekend so I am going to go check and see if the car is still there which I imagine is still, then keep checking if it is there and go back in a couple months and offer them the same money for it and see if they take it then :blink: .

But wow, rediculously fast car. Hopefully we will get a transmission into our Eldorado this month.

BTW what does a car like that go for around other areas of Canada and the U.S.? Am I offering even too much?

Spence

Here in Ontario, you'd be overpaying for the car.

Just today, I spoke with a local garage re the value of a 97 STS, seafoam green. I know the garage owner, and he's selling the car on a consignment basis for an older gentleman who's just lost his license. The car was purchased from a caddy dealer for $16k last year (yikes), and they are asking for $13k, no nibbles at all. The car is very clean .... I was asked my opinion, and based upon my knowledge of auction prices, I told him to ask for $9 to 10k, but thats all the money ... you'd be lucky to get $5 to 6k wholesale. Here's a typical link, black 97, no chrome, much lower k, asking $7,900, might take 7k ... http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.asp...93&adid=4056701

I bought my STS 1 yr ago, a 97 pearl white, not a nick on it, for $10,900 from a Caddy dealer, 1 owner .... and, they paid $2k high on my trade, and they popped for a new ac compresser and fuel unit at their service cost of $1,500... Basically, they said they made no dough at a net price of around $9 grand .... remember, 1 owner, from a caddy dealer ... they were lying about no proft, they probably had $8k into the car.

They're great cars, but they've absolutely bottomed out in terms of value ... last week, I could've bought an auction car, 98STS, 160k, newer style with wood wheel and shifter, for around $9k max ... asking price was $9800.

Either that Ford dealer is a nutjob, or MooseJaw has turned back the clock to 2002 ... no way in hell that car is worth more than 9k ... maybe they're buried in it, but thats their problem ... 5 to 6k at auction .... 9k retail and thats all the money .... 10 year old car with 160k, just waiting for $$$ repairs, and, a very hard car to arrange financing on at the dealer level ... they can only sell it for cash banks don't loan $16k on 1996 cars, so their goes most of the prospects.

They should take your offer ( what, $10.5 plus GST/PST), and give the salesmen a thousand dollar spiff for moving the toughest piece of inventory on their lot.

Good luck, they're a great car at the right price.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

According to Kelly Blue Book, the retail value of that exact car is $11,500, in US dollars. I don't know how different regions will affect price, but I can't imagine it'd be too great a difference. I don't know what the current conversion to Canadian money is, but that's the retail value here, which I think is a touch high anyway.

These cars are steals for what they are.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

$11,500 equates to $14,300 in our CDN funny money.

There are currently 8 STS's listed in the Ontario autotrader, and they're averaging under $8000, retail asking price.

I agree, these are perhaps the best used car buys on the market, if you know the wholesale value, the condition of the car, and factor in a reasonable profit margin for the selling party.

There are dealers out there who wait for an uniformed consumer to drift in with $14k for a 10 year old car ... I don't believe they're getting $8k on some of these cars, let alone $14kCDN ... it just ain't happening.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Here On PEI (Canada) there is a 96 STS for sale at the Cadillac/Chev dealership, it has 112K and the dealer was asking $9,800! That is actually considerably low for this area! I would think $14,500 is kind of high! I don't know much about the actual value of cars but I have noticed KBB values tend to be fairly high! I wouldn't dish out anymore than $8,000 - $10,000 for a 96-97 STS, But that is just my opinion! :)

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

These cars are steals for what they are.

I couldn't agree more....my next car will likely be a 95 STS... I love the 95's Eldorado and STS's....best models years for both IMO....

Oh yeah....Got my Eldorado 5 years ago....38,000 miles, looked nearly Identical to the picture (w/out the gold center caps)...for $14,900....Dash and back seat were impeccable, fron seats had some wear in the bottom...but not much...To this day I still get complements at stop lights...everytime I tell them "It's ten years old if you can belive it"

post-3-1117858786_thumb.jpg

A.J.

Here On PEI (Canada) there is a 96 STS for sale at the Cadillac/Chev dealership, it has 112K and the dealer was asking $9,800! That is actually considerably low for this area! I would think $14,500 is kind of high! I don't know much about the actual value of cars but I have noticed KBB values tend to be fairly high! I wouldn't dish out anymore than $8,000 - $10,000 for a 96-97 STS, But that is just my opinion! :)

Some one could make a killing buying used Cadillacs in Florida, then re-selling them in Canada....Used Cadillac's are dirt cheap in southern Florida.

A.J.

Same with V6 and V8 Mustangs! A few weeks ago by my school there was a 96 LX V6 Mustang convertible for sale (private), it had 110k and was in average condition! The fella had an asking price of $8,300, and I believe he sold it too because it is no longer there! The LX coupe's usually go for around $5 - $6,000! I could go to the states and pick up two Mustang GT's for that price! It is the same way with most cadillac's around here too! Even though the value isn't that high people and dealers still sell these cars for that much!

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

Some one could make a killing buying used Cadillacs in Florida, then re-selling them in Canada....Used Cadillac's are dirt cheap in southern Florida.

Hmm, I'll have to keep that in mind for my next purchase.

Archived