CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I think my tranny is taking a poop

jndnaps

Today the tranny on my 96 DeVille started to act up. When it got hot, it started to shift a little hard from 3rd to 4th.. Also, It would cruise at like 55mph and if I let go of the gas and let it coast, Then hit the gas, it would lightly bang into gear. Also, When it would shift from either 2nd to 3rd or maybe 3rd to 4th it would slip. It would be like it's in neutral till I let go of the gas and then it would change.. It has the 4.6 in it and the car just turned 90K and the tranny fluid is clean and full... Not sure if it's ever been serviced but the fluid is so clean it looks like it was.. No code either... I'm about over caddys.. Toyota here I come... LOL :huh:

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

jndnaps,

You may want to search on "shift solenoids". There are a lot of posts on it and it may have the symptoms listed as well.

I believe there are two check ball valves, one involved with the 1/2 shift and the other with the 3/4 shift (someone might clarify this) . This repair requires dropping the tranny pan, but not a lot of fine adjustments (maybe some shop manual references).

It is not a huge expense compared to a total rebuild or replacement.

Good Luck :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Add 1 quart of K&W Trans-X available most anywhere, it will improve it. I have fixed more trannies with that stuff! Just add it, level will be a little high, I have never seen a problem though...just my Dos Pesos!

Before adding something you can remove ATF by means of a turkey buster and a hose through the dipstick tube.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I tried that stuff, Not working.. Still shifting weird and slipping..

TDK, Wouldn't I get some kind of code on the OB ?

I just searched on shift solenoids and it worked OK (see link below).

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...shift+solenoids

You can also specify older than 30-days and get a lot more info.

I'm not sure about how the codes are triggered. Perhaps yours is on the edge?

Good luck :(

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

TDK, Thanks for the link.. Doesn't sound like my problem.. I still can't get the archives to work for me. I checked the codes today and it has a RS0061 Code.. Now I've tried to look up the codes and I must be as dumb as a box of rocks because I still can't figure it out.. Car was built 12/95 is this a OBI OR OBII? Anyone tell me what that code is?? :blink:

TDK, Thanks for the link.. Doesn't sound like my problem.. I still can't get the archives to work for me. I checked the codes today and it has a RS0061 Code.. Now I've tried to look up the codes and I must be as dumb as a box of rocks because I still can't figure it out.. Car was built 12/95 is this a OBI OR OBII? Anyone tell me what that code is??  :blink:

I believe that RS0061 is Right Front Position Sensor Fault, this link has the OBDl codes:

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html

Prior to 1996 I believe is OBDl

Before adding something you can remove ATF by means of a turkey buster and a hose through the dipstick tube.

And what gauge would that "Turkey Buster" be? Maybe 20?? :D:D:D

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived