CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Spark plug air pressure adapter

JimD

I have an old set of 41-950 tapered seat spark plugs. Am willing to ship them to someone who has the machine tools required to adapt them to shop air fittings and return one to me. I can't knock the porcelin out!!

It will require about 5" of small diameter pipe extention to provide air coupler fitting clearance above the cam cover. And a 5/8" nut welded close to the bottom surface of the air fitting to provide a method of torquing the tapered seat down.

According to ACDelco, this series of plugs is used on '97 to '99 Northstars. Maybe someone knows if the threads and tapered seat apply to other GM family engines.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Which ever method you use to remove the porcelain, be sure to use safety goggles, not just glasses. Fractured porcelain is VERY sharp and very difficult to remove from eyes once imbedded! :o

Britt

Britt

Thanks guys; got the insulator out but it took just a little longer than 90 seconds. Took 3 minutes to find my goggles!! LOL

Don't own the correct tap but I will tomorrow.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

A couple of guys in the shop did wander over to see what I was doing on the grinder and I showed them so they are all making spark plug port air adapters today in the shop.....LOL  LOL

Rarely does anything written on this board make me laugh so hard the dog gives me one of her tilted-head looks. But that one did it!!!

Next week we will feature vacuum pumps built from old A/C compressors.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

No...I said (meant??) 15 minutes to tap the two spark plug shells that I removed the porcelean from.  I ground the rolled rings off the two shells I had and just tapped the pocelean on the bench and removed it with my fingers in one piece.

Point is not to show off but to illustrate that it is VERY easy to make the adapter to put shop air to the spark plug port so if there is any question of checking the head gaskets this way making the adapter is simply no excuse.  Even if you had to run to the hardware store to buy a 1/8 pipe tap and the bits of brass fittings you need it shouldn't take more than an hour or so and no special tools are needed.

A couple of guys in the shop did wander over to see what I was doing on the grinder and I showed them so they are all making spark plug port air adapters today in the shop.....LOL  LOL

Im was just kidding you Guru!

I made the mistake and read it as 15 seconds... Darn that Evelyn Wood Speed Reading course! You started a trend in the shop!

Next week we will feature vacuum pumps built from old A/C compressors.

Four minutes, tops!

Regards,

Warren :D:D

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

.... Even if you had to run to the hardware store to buy a 1/8 pipe tap and the bits of brass fittings you need it shouldn't take more than an hour or so and no special tools are needed.....

And that pipe tap is $6.74 at Lowe's.

Now I have a tool I hope I never have to use on my vehicles. Sort of like whoever it was that machined a water pump tool from pipe stock.

Thanks, Guru...

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

BTW, Larry. GM has added a bracket piece to their water pump tool that will prevent your machined tool from 'backing out' under torque. Can send you a pix from the '04 Service Manual if you are interested in adding a rider to your insurance policy.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

BTW, Larry. GM has added a bracket piece to their water pump tool that will prevent your machined tool from 'backing out' under torque. Can send you a pix from the '04 Service Manual if you are interested in adding a rider to your insurance policy.

Can't hurt, thanks.

Now if you really want to add insurance, look in autoparts stores for an AC charging adapter kit for R12. Some stores still have them around despite them being pretty much obsolete. The schraeder valve fitting on the little hose that connects to the AC line via the schraeder valve is the same fitting that is on the fuel rail to check fuel pressure. So...now you have the connector for a fuel pressure gauge already handily crimped to a piece of hose. Find and old 100 PSI gauge laying around (or check the cheep Walmart mini-gauge tire pressure gauges for $3.50...) and adapt the gauge to the end of the hose after you cut the Freon can tap fitting with a brass fitting. Now you have a fuel pressure gauge for $10 to ward off fuel pump and pressure regulator problems.

I have a fuel pressure guage but of coarse the hose is short. I have been keeping an eye out for R12 hoses but not having any luck. Suppose I'll have to go out and pay top dollar for a long one when the need arises.

BTW, Larry.  GM has added a bracket piece to their water pump tool that will prevent your machined tool from 'backing out' under torque.  Can send you a pix from the '04 Service Manual if you are interested in adding a rider to your insurance policy.

Can't hurt, thanks.

Hoping this works......

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Now if you really want to add insurance, look in autoparts stores for an AC charging adapter kit for R12.  Some stores still have them around despite them being pretty much obsolete.  The schraeder valve fitting on the little hose that connects to the AC line via the schraeder valve is the same fitting that is on the fuel rail to check fuel pressure.  So...now you have the connector for a fuel pressure gauge already handily crimped to a piece of hose.  Find and old 100 PSI gauge laying around (or check the cheep Walmart mini-gauge tire pressure gauges for $3.50...) and adapt the gauge to the end of the hose after you cut the Freon can tap fitting with a brass fitting.  Now you have a fuel pressure gauge for $10 to ward off fuel pump and pressure regulator problems.

I have a fuel pressure guage but of coarse the hose is short. I have been keeping an eye out for R12 hoses but not having any luck. Suppose I'll have to go out and pay top dollar for a long one when the need arises.

Larry,

Find a shop that makes hydraulic hoses, etc.. in your area. I used one called Parker Hannefin. They took my fuel pressure gage (with the 1-foot hose....worthless for drivability tests...) and removed the fitting, and old hose, installed a 4-foot piece of high pressure fuel injection hose and re-crimped the schrader coupling for less than $7.00. It only took about 5 minutes.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Jim D,

Thanks a lot. A piture is truely worth a thousand words. I'll load that in the cranial memory bank for future reference if necassary. Do they tend to slip alot without it?

Kevin,

Thanks, I'll look through the yellow pages and see if I can find someone around here.

Archived