CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

EBTCM replacement on 98 Deville Concours

brmurph

I hade a code of C1241 (Magnasteer Malfunction) for a long time, this disabled the magnasteer but really didn't cause any other issue (still drivable). Then after replacing the battery the C1241 went away and C1255 (EBTCM internal malfunction) showed up and has been there since (car still drives fine but still no Magnasteer and probably no Anti lock brakes).

Anyway I am replacing the EBTCM with an exact replacement (used same PN out of another 98 Concours), will I need to reprogram the EBTCM or should this just be plug and play?

Thanks in advance.

I was disappointed to find after I paid for a very expensive EBTCM for my XLR that there were refurbished units available, so some research may be profitable first.  Not sure on the reprogramming.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

By chance have you tried removing, inspecting, and reseating the plug to the EBTCM?

Sometimes fluids and debris end up all over it and can cause issues over time. Also check the harness to the EBTCM to make sure it is secure and not chaffing on anything.

If you clear the code does it immediately come back?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Yeah I have tried to reconnect a few times, I have also tried to clean it with electrical cleaner.    I even had the dealer take a look at it, they said replace the EBTCM.  I really wanted them to try to reset it with a tech 2 as I have heard some times that will work where the on board won't.  Turns out they no longer have tech 2's at the dealer, just a laptop with the emulators :-(.     Yes the code comes back immediately.      

I am really hoping I can just plug in this used EBTCM and it will work but can't imaging I will get that lucky.   Oh and apparently this EBTCM can't be rebuilt and there are no new ones available anymore.   Since it is a Concours there can't be too many out there (found this one on car-parts.com

If it were me I would try it.

Honestly I always have a hard time getting straight answers on this. I find trial and error has better outcomes with less stress of trying to ask someone else.

I am trying to think of what would be different between the Deville and the Concours EBTCM wise. 

I have had to replace multiple BPMVs but not the EBTCM. I have one or 2 97s kicking around somewhere. 

GM FAN FOREVER

I think your right.  I did see somewhere that the magnasteer might need to be recalibrated but most said it is not that critical, which is good because I have no idea how to do that.   .   I think the difference between the deville and Concours is the stabilitrak and CVRSS.   Once  replaced I have a feeling either the C1241 (Magnasteer Malfunction)  code will come back or I'll fry my replacement EBTCM  :-).  

Thanks.

You should not fry it. The plug pinout should still be the same.

I am not sure if the Magnasteer is actually tied to the EBTCM.

There is only 2 listings.

1 is without Active Braking

1 is with Active Braking.

Compatibility shows 1998-1999 Deville, likely D'Elegance and Concours and Eldo ETC only

My assumption is that yours has the Active Braking. May have to check your RPO list.

I am thinking a used from the same equipped vehicle should be ok. The programming should be the same and I do not believe those years were vin encrypted like the newer ones.

It wouldn't hurt to pull the EBTCM and have a look at it. May be able to see something obvious.

I used to go through BBA Remanufacturing to have modules repaired and refurbished. Think they are still around. Did a nice job

I think the Magnasteer is more tied to the Magnetic suspension and the power steering system

GM FAN FOREVER

Just installed the used EBTCM today, so far it fixed all my problems :-).   No more C1255 code, 1st gear works again and Magnasteer is working again.  Lets hope its not temporary, I will update the thread if any issues, so far very happy, just plug and play!

Thanks for the help.  

🤞.

Trust me  I had my share of ABS issues with my 97 last year. Light has finally been out for over a month.

Honestly it is so stupid that it starts in 2nd gear. That is the worst thing about when there is a fault.

Thank you for updating us on this

GM FAN FOREVER