CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Inner Tie rod Boots STS 2009

Andy

Hello All, 

I am having difficulty getting a new boot for my inner tie rod. The dealership only sells the whole rack and does not sell the boot individually. I've even called all local auto car part stores and mechanics, and they don't seem to sell the boot itself or with the new tie rod. Does anyone know a way to fix a torn boot? Or If there is another boot I can order from another car that is Capatible with my STS Cadillac 2009. I noticed the 2009 CTS model sells a Tie Rod Boot - GM (19177439) set. Not sure if that would fit. 

thanks for the help! 

Thats odd.

It seems the 2010 STS is compatible with the 2008 CTS, but not listed for the 2008 STS.

Where is it damaged? I doubt it is repairable due to the constant movement and flexing.

See if you can get the part# from  the dealer so it can be crossed

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

thanks for the help , I'll try the dealership again.... they said  they only had the part number and sold the  boot part with the whole assembly of the axle...  but I appreciate the Info

I am sorry I was not more specific. It would not hurt to try another dealership.

You meant rack and not axle right? Just checking.

What is wrong with the old boot?

GM FAN FOREVER

Yes its just the inner tie rod, everything seems to work fine though. I just don't want the torn boot to cause a bigger issue. I'm going to replace the inner and outer tie rod while I'm at it to be safe its just difficult to find the boot for the STS

20210104_102514.jpg

Odd.....Just looked up the GM service manual 2009 STS. 

No procedure to replace the boot. 

No procedure to replace the tie rod. If the inner tie rod falls out of spec....you replace the entire rack (!). 

A option would be to find some boots for other racks...and find one that comes as close as possible to the original.....Or find a used STS rack and get the boot off of that.  

Update......there are some on eBay......looks like V6 or V8 etc does make a difference......maybe some luck there..

stsrack.JPG

Wow. No fixing that.

What a waste if the whole rack has to be replaced. 

I reached out to a few companies that scratch their head on this. 

I also found listings on Ebay that said they would work, but when I entered the vehicle specifically they were not compatible

I say if the set Logan found would work  I would jump on them. 

I would not leave the rack exposed for long. The dirt and debris will do a number on the shaft and seals, and likely the inner tie rod

GM FAN FOREVER