CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Who makes Cadillac, anyway? GM?

General Motors Corp. is going to stamp its corporate logo on every car and truck it sells in North America in an effort to better link its eight brands with the parent company.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0.../A01-149235.htm

The new badges will land on every 2006 model sold in North America across GM's eight brands -- Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, Hummer, Saab, Saturn and Pontiac.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Hey!!! That's what I said!!!

It would make sense to me to drop all the other brand names, and call everything but a Cadillac a "GM", kinda similar to how the Japanese do it with Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infinity. I think Chevrolet has too much of a "cheap" connotation to it in most people's minds to keep it as the ONLY non-Cadillac brand (and leave no mid-level name), but it's also too ubiquitous to drop completely. I think using "GM" for cars, "GMC" or "GM Trucks" for the trucks, and "Cadillac" for luxury makes sense.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...indpost&p=44322

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Well, I really hope it works!

I am not sure what to think at this point about GM's future. It seems like they keep giving their all, and the market just does not respond. Alot of it is based in their styling, but they seem to be figuring that out and getting a little bolder.

I hope to be a catalyst to this change, as I am submitting my Portfolio to CCS ( www.ccscad.edu ) and hope to be designing for one of the big three in a few years time. CCS is thee design school for car design, so I am really stoked about attending there.

This kind of news about GM really personally upsets me too, because not only are they my favorite car company, but when you look back on the dominance they once had it's a shame to see them where they are now.

I think they just need more passion instilled into their cars. No more of this "follow the leader" stuff.

Now THIS is what they were building when they were confident!

post-3-1113403681_thumb.jpg

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

I find that notion pretty 'simpleton'. Do they reaaly think the addition of a chrome GM badge is going to change their sales woes?

They need to dig a little deeper and look for 'value-added' changes. I, for one, do not find their new product offerings very 'exciting and/or appealing'. I think they are losing out on the 'style war'. Who on earth gets credit for the lines on the Pontiac Aztec???,...I can't believe they're gainfully employed....

While they are a big company lord knows, I think they tend to act like a big company and changes and reactions tend to be conservative. But then, they seem to take big chances styling wise and when you would like them to take a chance they don't like the STS.

Is it just me or does the STS appear too conservative for what it is? Maybe the V6 version can look conservative but the V8 could look more aggressive? Why does it seem that the STS is a scaled up CTS? Are they trying to appeal to too wide a range of buyers?

I was just listening to the news and it said that GM will write off $1 billion in the first quarter? How is that possible?

A combination of slumping sales and a debt downgrade to a 'near junk' status, which will increase their costs, or ability to borrow...., a double whammy!!!

I have said this before and it still makes me angry everytime I think about it. Everytime someone talks about cars all you see mto hear is "European styling", "European style handling", European this and European that. The obvious thought then, is that Americans can't design, they just copy. The next logical step is, why by a copy when you can buy the real McCoy. If they'd just do their own thing, make 'em sleek and flowing instead of boxy or jelly beanish. make 'em LOOK AMERICAN not European.

Who on earth gets credit for the lines on the Pontiac Aztec???,...I can't believe they're gainfully employed....

Obviously the guy who designed the Gremlin and Pacer has not yet retired (or been fired).

Adding the GM badge might actually hurt them at this point? :unsure:

I hope GM turns it around and I thought that they would with the revamp of Cadillac acting as the foundation.

I don't understand why they dropped the big Imp SS just as soon as they got it right - floor shift and tach in 96 which was replaced with a plain old sedan? They brought the GTO back but it looked just like the Holden; you'd never expect it to look like a jelly bean with the commercials that they were running before it was released. They dropped the camero and the bird. Added plastic cladding to weight down the cars. :o Although the 3800 is a great motor it never felt peppy (reads: anemic) in the later model cars and there are only so many eatons laying around.

I think they have their hands full at GM.

Yeah, the first CTS I saw about a year ago was actually an STS.

The moniker GM needs is in the minds of the buyer not the badge.

Cad1

92 Deville w/210k miles

I have said this before and it still makes me angry everytime I think about it. Everytime someone talks about cars all you see mto hear is "European styling", "European style handling", European this and European that. The obvious thought then, is that Americans can't design, they just copy.

That's the perception -- here. The grass is always greener somewhere else. I understand in Europe, BMWs and Mercedes are completely commonplace. Even used as TAXIS! Plebian cars. Over here, they're "exotic". In Europe, Cadillacs are rare imports, with curb appeal. What is imported must be better.

It's interesting, our neighbors just came back from a military tour in Germany. They have two BMWs, a 528 and an X5. Over there, they could have picked them up used for a song, who knows. Once they get back here, they're pimpin' in style because everyone envies a Bimmer. :rolleyes:

It applies to everything...even donuts if you believe it. Krispy Kreme is HQ'd in North Carolina. KK is EVERYWHERE down here. Thing is, a lot of NC natives prefer Dunkin' Donuts, a chain which is relatively rare here. I lived much of my life in Northern Virginia, where there's a DD on every corner. Coming down here and trying KK was like a breath of fresh air, and I prefer KK now. :lol:

I don't understand why they dropped the big Imp SS just as soon as they got it right - floor shift and tach in 96 which was replaced with a plain old sedan? They brought the GTO back but it looked just like the Holden; you'd never expect it to look like a jelly bean with the commercials that they were running before it was released. They dropped the camero and the bird.

Unfortunately while you may not understand this, it shouldn't surprise you. GM does a wonderful job of getting a car "just right" or at least "what it should have been in the first place" and then they kill it off... My list for consideration

Fiero and its front suspension fixed for last year only

Allante and its world class engine last year only

Grand National and the GNX last year only

Imp SS you noted

You could even add the Corvair and others from history

Breaks my heart that all to often the best year to buy a GM is the year before they kill it. Not the best way to build brand loyalty IMO. Breaks my heart even more since I own more than cars... I have shares too...

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

They suck. They have horrible reliability. Maybe if they had a program to cheapen the repair parts on their older cars, they could bring up their resale value. I dont like the idea of paying what the whole car is worth for parts that shouldnt have gone bad in the first place.... How about bmw, and mercedes how do they keep up there cars' resale value, besides the namesake?

They suck. They have horrible reliability..[snip]..How about bmw, and mercedes  how do they keep up there cars' resale value, besides the namesake?

Horrible reliability? I'm going to guess that you bought yours used, and have no idea of the original repair/maintenance history of the car since new, huh?

I've documented all the repair work that's been done on my SLS over the last 110,000 miles (it currently has 143k miles). I'm proud two own such a reliable and classy car. http://www.jnjhome.net/cadillac/maint.htm I'd invite ANY European or Japanese-branded vehicle with similar mileage to compare repair costs. I'd say they'd be comparable, or even higher. If you look at that link above, if you don't see it on the list, it ain't been replaced. That includes spark plugs and even the transmission fluid. The only interior/electrical part that's been replaced on the entire vehicle has been the driver side window/door lock switch unit. That's IT! This car has been bulletproof.

BMW and Mercedes are typically even more fault-prone. Even the auto rags point out Mercedes-Benz's poor reliability as of late. They still recommend the cars. European cars are typically pretty expensive to own, and I wouldn't say their resale is all that great anyway. My aunt bought a 8-year-old BMW 750 for like $10k. That's no better than a Cadillac's resale value for its age. Import cars hold value because people perceive them to be "exotic". If a BMW drops a transmission, it's "just a part of owning an exotic car". If a Cadillac drops a transmission, it's a "cheap domestic car", as you indicate when you say GM has "horrible reliability". That's why domestics have bad resale value.

They suck. They have horrible reliability. Maybe if they had a program to cheapen the repair parts on their older cars, they could bring up their resale value. I dont like the idea of paying what the whole car is worth for parts that shouldnt have gone bad in the first place.... How about bmw, and mercedes how do they keep up there cars' resale value, besides the namesake?

You're way out of line on this one. You can pick up a nice domestic with 100,000 miles on the clock and a few years old for a fraction of the new cost and run them for hundreds of thousands of miles. I've seen it done too many times to let you get away with saying that.

Cad1

92 Deville w/210k miles

Unfortunately while you may not understand this, it shouldn't surprise you. GM does a wonderful job of getting a car "just right" or at least "what it should have been in the first place" and then they kill it off... My list for consideration

Fiero and its front suspension fixed for last year only

Allante and its world class engine last year only

Grand National and the GNX last year only

Imp SS you noted

You could even add the Corvair and others from history

Breaks my heart that all to often the best year to buy a GM is the year before they kill it. Not the best way to build brand loyalty IMO. Breaks my heart even more since I own more than cars... I have shares too...

I couldn't agree with you more. All the cars listed were at their pinnacle. But I imagine this Buick LaCrosse will inspire us to become loyal GM fans. How about the iron duke in the f-body, man those were fast cars.

92 Deville w/210k miles

I'd invite ANY European or Japanese-branded vehicle with similar mileage to compare repair costs.

From my experience, Jason is 'right on'. I've owned both, also witnessed the repair costs my two brother-in-laws have experienced on their preferred import purchases (bought new), and I think domestic cars win 'hands down' in reliability for the most part, and definitely in repair costs.

Yes, I had a Ford Aerostar that ate me up in A/C repair costs because the but a sedan compressor in a van, but over the years the many domestic cars I have owned have been quite reliable. Of course, I treat them right, which is key.....

Maybe thats where imports 'shine', they can take more abuse,...I dunno....

I quit buying fords in 68 and I have drove gm since, my first a 58 pontiac starchief in 62. I have always like the fit and finish and the way they felt. I have owned a lot of gms and Im pleased with all of them. Gm gives me a good selection I have had my pick between a 65 corvair or a 65 chevy super sport with a 327. I will admit that when you make cars to try and satisfy all the people you make some people mad. For the most part if my gm quits running it is in the driveway, Today I own a 04 gmc sierra truck and a 97 seville sls I have had the 97 for three years now and my repair cost is negligable. Im am begining to think that the 97 with the northstar is the finnest car I have ever owned better than my 65 chevy ss and my pontiac. In 2005 I can still find a gm car to suit me aint that something! Mike

Im am begining to think that the 97 with the northstar is the finnest car I have ever owned better than my 65 chevy ss and my pontiac.

Of all the cars I've owned, I think my '93 STS is my finest car, in terms of style, performance, and repair costs. My '96 Chevy Express van with a 305 Vortec beats it in reliability, but it doesn't have all the gadgets.

I also thing the Northstar is GM's finest mass-produced engine, and it keeps getting refined.

Sorry guys, but if Honda made a luxury sport sedan like my STS, (Acura is not luxury, just mid level) I would have bought it over my 97 STS Caddy. I drove a CRX for 12 years and the only major repair I had to make was replacing the timing belt at 90,000 miles. Bought the car for $10,000 and sold it for $3,500.

I have not been disapointed with the repair costs of my Caddy, but I bought it knowing that parts and repairs were not going to come cheap. I am now shopping for a replacement for my 97 and I don't know which way to turn. I hate the new STS. It looks just like the CTS and don't want to take a step down in luxury since I have been spoiled by my STS.

What I liked about the '90's Cadillacs were their angular style while everyone else was making cars that looked like used bars of soap. They are still angular, but now they look like a fat womans foot that have been shoved into a shoe that is too small. The XLR is the only model that still has the long low angular style that made me say "WOW, Cadillac has changed! I want one!"

Anyone want to spot me $30,000 so the XLR can be in my budget range for a good used car?

Sorry guys, but if Honda made a luxury sport sedan like my STS, (Acura is not luxury, just mid level) I would have bought it over my 97 STS Caddy.

I wouldn't call Acura "mid-level" at all -- especially not today's Acura (maybe in '97...). My mother-in-law has a new TL and it's every bit as "luxurious" as my SLS, in my opinion. Of course, I guess everyone has their definition of "luxury". If you define luxury as high quality interior materials, seat heaters, leather-wrapped steering wheels, then I'd have a hard time not finding an Acura luxurious. If, however, you define it as a really plush ride and lots of woodgrain, then I'd say no, Acura isn't it. But I think you hit it when you said "luxury sport" sedan. I think the Acura TL makes an excellent luxury sport sedan and to tell you the truth, I'd be hard-pressed to buy a CTS over a TL, at least today. They drive an excellent bargain on those TLs, and they handle wonderfully. Sub-6 second 0-60 times don't hurt either (on the TL). So far, the car hasn't been to the dealer yet, 'cept for oil changes. We'll see how it holds up.

I have to agree with the comments above that the Northstar is one of the finest engines ever made. I swore years ago that I'd never drive anything that had fuel injection or overhead camshafts, but I really saw the light after driving this Cadillac. I fall in love with my Seville all over again everytime I driver her, and that engine is just so sweet. I'm as big of a fan of Ford's modular V8 engines. We had our first taste of it in a '92 Crown Victoria. Even with only 210 horsepower in such a large RWD car, that engine performed wonderfully. The only thing IT needed in the 6 or 7 years we had it was a spark plug wire set. That engine/car was so smooth...

I have owned a lot of gms and Im pleased with all of them.  For the most part if my gm quits running it is in the driveway.

My first GM I owned from new was a '83 Zed28 (Canadian edition)... And as almost any 17 year old would, I drove the snot out of that car...

The '80s were not a great time for GM quality and that car went back to the dealer for service... ONCE... (original carb setting from the factory was too lean) and that was it.

Over the 20 some years I have owned this car, its still in my driveway under a cover. It needed one radiator, one water pump and one heater core, 3 batteries, belts, hoses, oil changes ever 5000 miles, gas and LOTS of tires ;) .

Even in the dark years GM quality wasn't all that bad...

And Like Mike notes that car never failed to get me home... Even the day the heater core went...

Oh I forgot... one transmission mount too... Broke it Drag Racing a Volvo Turbo... Drove her home that day too! :D

caddy.jpg

Greg

The '80s were not a great time for GM quality and that car went back to the dealer for service... ONCE... (original carb setting from the factory was too lean) and that was it.

I had an '84 Cutlass. That thing was wonderful. It was all loaded up too. White exterior, red velour interior, T Tops, console, rallye gauges, etc. Had the 307 V8, factory chrome wheels. Man that was a cool (and rare) car. It was my first too.

http://jadcock.oldsgmail.com/cutlass/index.html

I lived in Herndon from '91 to '97, when I left to go to school at Virginia Tech (showing my [lack of] age here). I went to Herndon Intermediate School and Herndon High School. That place changes everytime I (reluctantly) even go back there. My brother lives in the Mount Vernon area...what a traffic mess.

General Motors Corp. is going to stamp its corporate logo on every car and truck it sells in North America in an effort to better link its eight brands with the parent company.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0.../A01-149235.htm

The new badges will land on every 2006 model sold in North America across GM's eight brands -- Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, Hummer, Saab, Saturn and Pontiac.

I wonder how is GM going to deal with Saturns?

GM has been trying to convince everyone, since the conception of the division, that this company has NOTHING to do with GM.

I bet the GM logo on these, and SAABs for that matter will be really really small.

caddy.jpg

Greg

Archived