CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

C&D: 2021 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing Boasts 650 HP and a Manual

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

• A new Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing model will sit at the top of the CT4 sedan's lineup in terms of performance.
  • It will offer a twin-turbocharged V-6 engine and a manual transmission.
  • The CT4-V Blackwing should go on sale sometime later this year with a starting price of around $55,000.

Bruce

• The Blackwing designation represents the pinnacle of Cadillac performance, craftsmanship and technology
  • The track-capable, ultra-high-performance models will offer a manual transmission

DETROIT – Cadillac today announced that the fourth generation of its V-Series sub-brand, currently spearheaded by the 2020 CT4-V and CT5-V, will eventually include ultra-performance variants that carry the Blackwing name. The future, track-capable vehicles will be called CT4-V Blackwing and CT5-V Blackwing, representing the apex of Cadillac performance and driver engagement.

“The Blackwing name has come to represent the very best of Cadillac performance engineering, craftsmanship and technology,” said Brandon Vivian, Cadillac executive chief engineer. “The new CT4-V Blackwing and CT5-V Blackwing build on the brand’s respected legacy of ultimate-performance driving experiences and elevate them even further.”

The V-Series Blackwing models1 will feature specially tuned chassis, vehicle control technologies and engines. Each model will also be offered with a manual transmission – a feature most luxury brands no longer offer but continues to be a strong desire for many performance driving enthusiasts.

The CT4-V Blackwing and CT5-V Blackwing have been undergoing testing that includes sessions at tracks and road courses around the country. Earlier this year, at Virginia International Raceway, each car set lap times seconds faster than the legendary ATS-V and CTS-V.

Information about the current V-Series vehicles, the 2020 CT5-V and CT4-V, can be found on Cadillac.com, and more V-Series Blackwing information will be made available at a later date. 

Bruce

Bruce, do you know the date of this announcement; do you feel this will be indefinitely postponed until stability is restored in the industry.  Similar to this is maybe the C8 Corvette's announcement of delayed and possible no convertible until '21 and also the delay in the Escalade.  Additionally, I hope it trumps the CTS-V so Cadillac performance advances.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

It was announced on 4/14/2020 but it leaves a lot of latitude for when the Blackwing V's will reach dealers.

CT5-V-Blackwing.jpgCT4-V-Blackwing.jpg

Bruce

Bruce, I don't know if you are familiar with Autoline After Hours but Thursday (tomorrow as I type this) they will have  Brandon Vivian, who is Cadillac’s executive chief engineer on the show. If you want to see it Live it is at 3 PM eastern  ( http://www.autoline.tv/ )   though it will also be available for rebroadcast via YouTube.  He will be discussing the CT4-V and CT5-V and the "Blackwing"  program.  Just a heads-up if you're not aware.

Chuck

Bruce in case you didn't watch the interview, a couple of things I thought interesting was that Cadillac is looking at some upgraded (power/sport) options for some of the utility vehicles, and that, the Blackwing engine will/may be used in future applications (which he couldn't/wouldn't discuss other than keeping that option open).  And generally, he was confident that the new V-Blackwings are going to be 'kick-*smurf*' (my words, not his, but inferred) when arriving (probably in summer '21).  The Corvette C8 was very briefly mention in comparison to performance, and said when asked about how the Blackwings compared, he said, you'd be surprised.

Chuck

Nice summary.  If I were Cadillac I would offer the 2.7L four in the XT4 now; that seems like very low hanging fruit.

Bruce

Thanks for the "smurf" reference; sorry, I should have referenced 'donkey'.  😅

Chuck

Our forum filters are all-watching lol.  I like that they are offering 'real' LT4 and LF4 engines for the C5VB and C4VB, although I am not sure what the 'lure' of a C5VB vs the previous CTS-V or a C4VB vs the ATS-V is.  I would have tried to get 20 extra hp out of each powerplant or something just to show we're trying.

Bruce

Bruce that was discussed as well, and I'm interpreting now; I believe the take was that the sophistication of aerodynamics and with the new Mag-Ride 4, new levels of on track performance will emerge surpassing the ATS/CTS V's. I suppose, and again just my guess, I think that they (Cadillac) feel that power is adequate, but who knows, maybe that will be bumped as well.  I'm excited that Caddy is even offering this type of performance (as I feared with the entrance to electrification that these type projects could have easily been dropped).

Chuck