CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2005 STS with fake convertible roof

Saw a 2005 Cadillac STS - silver with a black fake convertible roof, last night. I did happen to have my digital camera with me and immediately realized we had another topic for a "Caption the photo" contest, but alas - with the traffic I couldn't turn around and catch up to him in time. Oh well, would have been a fun contest.

Car looked horrid, IMO - like a bad toupee with that black 'lid' sitting inappropriately on there. Gotta love what some of these dealers do!

A year ago I saw a Mercury Marauder with a white fake convertible top and chrome wheel-lip moldings. Old guy driving it. Think he knew what he had under the hood?

cheers,

~Doc

A year ago I saw a Mercury Marauder with a white fake convertible top and chrome wheel-lip moldings. Old guy driving it. Think he knew what he had under the hood?

cheers,

~Doc

Oh I bet he did my grampa always drove cars w/ big engines ..................he taught me everything I know

My favorite vinyl roofs were the ones in the late 70's that only covered the back half of the roof. When they got old, the glue would come loose and the front edge would raise up in the wind like a huge air scoop. The driver, of course, couldn't see it and had no idea how ridiculous it looked.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

:rolleyes: Doc, can you order just the vinyl top?

Up here in Canada, you must take the top with stainless steel targa bar,

fender feelers, fuzzy dice, chrome wheel lip moulding, and tortoise shell

interior appointments!

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Personally I love the convertable tops on the mid 90's models....Haven't seen any of the newer models (except for Deville's) with cloth tops...Im always looking for an SRX with a custom cloth top....that would look ugly....Does anyone know the origin of the cloths tops? did Cadillac market them or are they all dealer additions?

A.J.

All of the vinyl/cloth tops today are dealer/aftermarket additions. The Fleetwoods had factory vinyl tops through 1996 and the Devilles last had factory vinyl tops in 1989-1990 timeframe.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Speaking of ridiculous... there was a window cleaning company in the Toronto area here about 20 years ago that used to buy up old '70s monster-sized hearse casket carriers.

They had some friend of the company that would attach real wood strapping and Mac-tac vinyl woodgrain and turn them into woody wagons.

Complete with a roofrack, quite a sight to see... :lol:

MP

Personally I love the convertable tops on the mid 90's models....Haven't seen any of the newer models (except for Deville's) with cloth tops...Im always looking for an SRX with a custom cloth top....that would look ugly....Does anyone know the origin of the cloths tops? did Cadillac market them or are they all dealer additions?

Be careful what you wish for. I have that canvas top on my '95 and really like it, BUT (and make no mistake: this is a B-I-G BUT) if you lose your rear windshield you are looking at several thou$and to replace it.

The glass place must first send the car to an auto body shop to have the top "basket" removed before they can replace the glass. After the glass replacement, its back to the body shop to have the basket reinstalled. Big buck$.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived