CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I've read virtually everything I can find online about the interior lights in my 1993 Fleetwood not turning off. I've read about various fuses, read a Body Control Module in the trunk, about wiring in the door locks and about some kind of switch in the trunk pull-down associated with the alarm. What I cannot find is any information about a "DIL Relay" referenced in the onwers' manual -- a box under the hood on the driver's side wheel well. (Diagram from owner's manual below.) I believe this stands for Delay Interior Lights Relay. Could this be the source of the problem? If so, how do I find a replacement? I can find relays online but nothing specific to DIL Relay. My car has no alarm, and the door locks have never been touched, to my knowledge. Fuses are not the issue (27 is pulled because that's the only way to keep the lights off). If it's not this DIL Relay under the hood, apparently there's another associated relay in the Body Control Module; so that would be the next thing to explore, I guess. Thanks in advance!

Have you checked the door switch in the A pillar? 

They break internally and do not trip the delay relay so the interior lights and radio stay on.

Is your radio staying on along with the int. lights?

My 93 Deville had the same issue.

Try swapping the switch from the other side to check.

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

NO difference!  Broken internally!

Will still work but wont trip the relay to shut them off!

I had the same issue with my moms 90 and my 93 devilles.

Easy and worth a shot to diagnose.

Does your car have the original plastic switch in the door jamb?

Heres the GM replacement.

caddy GM door switch.jpg

Edited by sonjaab

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

My quick research shows the 93 Fleetwood using the plunger style switch, 

And if it does I would agree one of them is your issue.

What happens is one will short to partial ground, just enough to keep the lights on but not enough to trigger the RAP relay. 

I do believe the fronts would be located at the front, above the lower hinge on the body side.

Rear would be similar but on the B pillar.

93 may have been the last year of that design. IF yours does not have this style switch it may be a very late 93. ie 94

DS251Tphoto%20primary__ra_p.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Webp.net-compress-image.thumb.jpg.ede3fb20a07e46b20d2d8a005c019f39.jpgThanks for your response. The car shows it was manufactured in September 1992.  I looked again and on all four doors, I see what appears to be a plug where a plunger might have once been intended to be used. But I see no plunger. You can see the black plug in the center of the attached photo, which is the front driver's side door. 

Edited by Dale Gardner

Ok That is weird. 

Sure looks like the location for them...

I have to think a little harder on this. I do not want to say it is in the latches but it may be.

Bummer. I looked at the 92 which is different than the 93-95. Looks just like the ones in my ScottsDale.

The 93-95 I cannot find a good picture but I am persistent. Research shows no switch in the latch but I do not know for sure.

Considering the 93+ is different  I would have to assume the switch is part of the latch. It is in the base of the latch. There may be corrosion at the pins of the switch. Door panel must be removed to inspect. Wish I could tell you which door, but I would start with the most obvious, the drivers, then the passenger front

I would suggest exercising all 4 doors and make sure they all work properly.

If you look at this listing on ebay it will help you to see it a little better. Incompatible but same concept

183763529615 is the listing

GM FAN FOREVER

Just my opinion but I would not take it to the dealer.

I have had terrible experience with mine with them.

It is too old and the parts will be replaced on assumption and it will not be cheap.

I think we are on the  right path here. I am pretty confident you will find the issue.

Again this is just my opinion. 

I have been told more than once that vehicles are only built to last 10 years by my local dealer. Not quite the right attitude if you ask me

GM FAN FOREVER