CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Here again,this car is keeping me busy.The trunk was dead.No action when clicked.I replaced the switch and the motor.I probably didn't need the new motor but,I got it cheap on amazon.As long as I was fixing it ,might as well replace it...All hooked up.Will close and pull down tight.The problem is it (the stricker or hoop) will not go up.Click the lid open and no motion..Click the lid switch and the hoop goes down.At that height,the bottom of travel,the lid will not latch..I manually raise the hoop and the lid will latch again...How do I get the hoop to reverse direction?I flipped the little black plastic swich on the paddle switch and no change...Press the top latch and hoop goes down..HELP

So not sure if this will help. It is late in the day for me to think hard lol.

So humor me and try this.

Open the trunk. 

push up the black switch on the trunk lid, then at the same time push down the paddle at the motor.

The shaft should pull down and stop. If it does not do this then the motor assembly may be defective.

When you pop the trunk does it spring up? I ask this because if someone added a spoiler and never adjusted the springs tension for the lid then you may have issues .

Best of luck to you

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Thank You for replying.Yes the striker goes down,all the way down.The problem is it won't go up.   I thought that the toggle switch on the paddle switch reverses the direction?I flipped it up,I flipped it down.The striker only goes down.This is a brand new switch and motor..Could I have a bad paddle switch?I also see this switch called the reversing switch?

These are the same pull downs used in the 80s camaro/firebirds.

Check for parts and repair tips on those model/forums too.

Dorman sells those units also.

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

It may take until the weekend when I find a few moments but I will try to duplicate it on mine and will get back to you

GM FAN FOREVER

It used to drive me crazy watchin some bozo slammin' the trunk lid on a Caddy with the pull down

instead of just closing it easy till it hit the pulldown and closed on its own.

I see the same deal on the camaro/bird forums with the bozos who slam the rear glass lid on those cars too!

Sure glad I dont have the pulldown on my Caddy or Camaro!

Funny that my 90 Deville had the pulldown but not my 93...........

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

all of mine have had it.

Ford had them beat though as you could hit a button and close the trunk(only on special model lincolns)

I do not let anyone touch my trunk, Lucky if they can even touch my car. If they know how picky I am they know they are better not touching anything lol

GM FAN FOREVER

I got the pull down to go up.It stayed there..Now,no down..The trunk light is no longer lit.   I think my problem is in the wiring of the lid latch,actuator..I took a quick look and I can see the wires have been spliced before I got the car..Also,the switch up there on the lid no longer working...The short time I got the pull down to move it wobbeled..The plastic GEAR MAY BE SHOT.i FOUND A NEW ONE..I'm GOING TO TAKE THE PULL DOWN APART AGAIN AND REPLACE THE GEAR..Also,THE PADDLE SWITCH ON TOP OF THE PULL DOWN MOTOR doesn't want to fully seat.It just doesn't want to completely seat so it locks..  I'll update you all...Please ignore the caps.I'm too lazy to rewrite this..

lol. 

You have 2 problems.

1 with the lid switch and 1 with the pull down.

I recommend good used over new aftermarket for at least the pull down motor

GM FAN FOREVER

I'll keep that site in mind.I already bought the motor assembly,paddle switch,gear nut.So,all pull down parts are new AC Delco parts..The next is the lid switch..I'm going to check the wiring and take it from there..I don't see that switch on the site you sent...Rockauto has an AC Delco switch for under $20 shipped..

Yea that guy has a metal gear replacement for the firebird headlight lift motors cuz the factory plastic gears tun to dust.

Moms 96 deville in seafoam green had the pulldown and she or dad would slam it.

I had to school them on how to close trunk!  LOL!

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

BTW:

Heres a list of GM vehicles with the same pull down motor

The same pull down assembly (depending on year) was used in Cadillacs, Olds, Buick
cars.

Here is a list for the 86-91 pull down motor assembly (thanks to Lon at top down solutions))
and which car/year usage FYI that I asked about above:

Buick: 1980-93 Electra, 1985-93 Park Avenue, 1980-93 Riviera, 1992-96 Roadmaster

Cadillac: 1987-93 Allante, 1980-96 Brougham, 1980-93 Eldorado, 1980-96 Fleetwood Sedan, 
1985-93 Fleetwood, 1980-83 Fleetwood, 1980-93 Seville

Chevrolet (Chevy): 1986-91 Camaro

Chrysler: 1989-91 TC by Maserati

Oldsmobile: 1988-93 98 Regency, 1986-89 Toronado

Pontiac: 1986-91 Firebird, 1985-92 Grand Am

So if your parts yard hunting for a hatch/trunk motor assem. you know which cars to look for.

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

How do you get the switch to fit on plastic part of motor assembly so that the contacts on switch actually fit over the contacts on assembly??Do you have to open up the 2 double contacts?  I'm afraid to press down too hard and break it..

Hi,I bought some on Amazon,rockauto and Ebay...I happen to have a brand new switch for the pull down motor.The paddle switch..I'm asking $35 shipped 1st. class..The gear was plastic.It is included with "some" pull down motors on ebay..    I just got my Eldo back from the shop.They put a new turn signal/hazard switch in for me..I'm glad I didn't try to do that one myself..It took the guy all day..Anyway,between those 3 sites I mentioned you can get almost any part..https://www.ebay.com/i/263995500075?chn=ps. This is the one I bought.

Archived