CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

4.6 n* into a s-10

dally

i have a wrecked 94 sls. what would be involved in putting a northstar into an s-10 with a 2.8 automatic? Does anybody know any links to anyone who has done it ?

what parts wpuold be involved and what kind of money is involved in this conversion?

tia

dallas

Caddy has tightly integrated the entire powertrain into a given vehicle's wiring harness. This marriage is really "till death do us part".

Its almost impossible to swap engines from one NorthStar "year" another. For example the 93-95 use speed density intead of mass air flow in later years for air/fuel ratios. This one change nixes a mix and match.

As far any kind of transplant into any other vehicle, forget it.

There has been only one post on this site from a professional outfit that put a NorthStar into something like a Volkswagon GTI. They raced it around their street a bit, but I would not say it was entirely successful. Who knows what they used from the Caddy (perhaps the entire drive train and PCM)

Frankly, it might be easier to attach the S-10's sheetmetal to the wrecked Caddy.

You have a noble idea (save the Caddy engine), but the concept is virtually doomed.

Sorry :(

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Im going to address just the mechanical issues as the electronics are trivial at this point. For the electronic solutions look up the fiero guys. You will need motor mounts sort of like the cad fab mounts. The AC and alternator will likely foul on the steering gear. You will need a manual gear because the power steering pump will be in the way of turning the intake around. The trans bell housing will need to be modified as only 5 of 6 bolts will line up. Also the trans will need to be beefed up because the n* will kill a V6 trans.

HTH

John

As far any kind of transplant into any other vehicle, forget it.

Not really. There are several fast fieros using the stock 93-95 PCM to control just the engine. Northstar and a getrag manual is not that unusual. The big problem with the S-10 swap is the longitudinal configuration.

John

Yes, the real problem you face is mounting a traverse engine in an S-10. There have been enough V8 conversions that you might be able to find a kit for a coprerate V8 in the truck without huge modification.

Boyd Coddington can stuff a n/star into a car, but Boyd bail bucket is drawn from a bottomless well.

That would be cool If you did that! It would be a quick little truck!!!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

32v_dohc,

Your info:

"There are several fast fieros using the stock 93-95 PCM to control just the engine. Northstar and a getrag manual is not that unusual."

Is great news and I stand corrected.

That possibility alone might just re-birth the Fiero! :)

Do you have a rough idea of the costs involved and other limitations besides engine arrangement??

Thanks

Yes the pcm should still work divorced from all the other electronics. As long as it gets input from the engine sensors (02, crank, knock, cam etc.) it will respond. The gm guys put a lot of failsafe features into the code, so the car will not die if the PCM is somehow disconnected from the databus. Sure it may spit out error codes like mad, but nothing is there to read them.

It may run in some sort of limp mode or safety mode without input from the transmission.

The fiero guys figured this out a while ago.

Sure 'nuff, Here is some info on a NorthStar into a Fiero. Rather amazing...

4.6 Cadillac conversion ( Northstar ).

300HP & 295Ft Lb Torque

This is one of the highest output conversions for your fiero. It is also one of the most difficult conversions to install. Modification of the engine compartment is necessary to facilitate this installation. Special fabrication of all mounts and brackets is required to accomplish the installation of this very large engine into the Fiero.

The performance increase achieved with this conversion is substantial over most other engine swaps. The increase of installation labor is also substantial.

It is highly recommended using the transmission that comes with the Cadillac. You can, however, bolt the Fiero stick transmission directly up to this engine. Special clutch and flywheel are required.

http://www.westcoastfiero.com/engine_conversion/4_6-cad.html

This list comprises most of the parts that have to be changed to install the 4.6 Cadillac engine into the Fiero.

We can develop wiring diagrams for your particular 4.6 Cad conversion with color code and the usage for each wire from the 4.6 Cad ECM to the fiero C500 and C203 connector.

We could offer a new wire harness for the conversion but it would be very extensive and expensive. The ECM is moved from the passenger compartment to the engine bay in the Fiero. Some cars with the 4.6 Cad (Allantra) engine have full instrumentation installed, and some do not. All 4.6 Cad ECM 's have the ability to drive full instrumentation in the Fiero.

We can supply you with a wiring kit to connect the wires from the Fiero C500 and C203 connectors to the 4.6 Cad ECM. This kit consists of professional crimpers, connectors, and a wiring diagram. Optionally, send us your wire harness from both the 4.6 Cad and the original C500 and C203 connectors, and we will integrate the two for your Fiero.

You also need the factory repair manual for the year and model of your 4.6 Cad engine.

We can provide you with the following:

We will completely rewire your existing harness. $ 750.00

I cant stand Boyd Coddington!

Boyd Coddington can stuff a n/star into a car, but Boyd bail bucket is drawn from a bottomless well.

What is that suppose to mean? :)

It mean$ he'$ rich and can do thing$ that mo$t of u$ can't do.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Just another thought.

I have not seen it lately but there is an S10 running around with an old Olds Tornado for a power plant.

They took the entire power train and mounted it where the bed of the truck originaly was. I mean the entire thing engine, transmission, differential, wheels, and all.

Seems like this would solve the electrical questions. Use the N* electrical system.

Nothing is impossible. It is only limited by fabrication skills, and most of all, $$$$$. If you have the skills, and alot of money, any engine, can be out into any car. Just how bad do you want it?

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

An interesting subject,

The parts & labor cost for a 4.9 into a Fiero is about $5,200 including installation. That might not include everything to make it work or look acceptable - but its a number to start with anyway.

The idea of a mid-engine compact pickup per Tom Karen's comment is intriguing:

"They took the entire power train and mounted it where the bed of the truck originally was. I mean the entire thing engine, transmission, differential, wheels, and all."

Hmmm ,how low can you go for center of gravity? B)

I can visualize transplanting the entire front drive train onto the bed area. The frame members to hold it all together would be interesting to say the least. Dually fenders should address the wider wheelbase. Gutting the original engine area makes for a trunk of sorts.

The real fun part might be to have the rear steering work somehow in an "oblique" manner (like the big GM pickups). Kind of a mini "hook and ladder" rig that could turn on a dime and chase its own tail. :D

The structural integrity at speed might be one for a test pilot to try tho!

Sounds more like "Monster Garage" teams up with "Pimp my Ride" and "Junkyard Wars". :P

I was in an auto parts store about 2 years ago and picked up a copy of "4x4"or "Off-road"(can't remeber which). Anyway what caught my attention was the header "Packing a Northstar into a Willy's" I didn't read the whole article but I belive they did succesfully install a Northstar into an late model Willy's. I remember the guy at the counter saying something about how his friend had done the fiero swap, he said it was like driving a little rocket!

A.J.

Archived