CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Oil

I use just the general brand Quacker State, Penzoil, Canadian Tire brand oil, whatever is on sale but I tend to stay away from the cheapest brand such as Tech 2000 at Wal-mart. The majority of my vehicles are "high milage" and then some more miles on top of that. For me, spending extra money on "high milage" oil is a waste. Get some good oil and a good filter (AC Delco my recommendation) and you can't go wrong.

"Oil is oil" is what I was told in school, the only difference is the additives in it.

Spence

I guess your right. My main reason for asking is because i have a slight oil leak in the passengers side when the engine cools. Only three-five drops on the ground. I read on one of the post, that the high milage oil lubes the seals and seals small leaks. Since changing over to the high milage oil i notice more than a few drops on the ground more like 12-drops than i did with regular Castrol oil.

I just changed my oil today. I have 97K on the 95 . I use Exxon 10w30 regular motor oil. I am religious about changing it every 3k miles. I believe this is the key to longevity, not the type of oil. Having to use 7.5 quarts per change the high milage oil is to steep for my pocket.

The high mileage oil makes a difference, at least from my experiences. But it is not a huge difference, and it takes a few changes to see it. Same thing with synthetic over high mileage. You will eventually see it, on both leakage and consumption, but not a huge difference. But I would switch to synthetic on any NS. The car just runs better. No difference in mileage, but the engine is quiter and seems to help the cold rap that many of us have had experience with. I hate to say this being a GM guy, but I went back to Fram filters. I had the cold rap, and it took several things to completely eliminate it. Synthetic oil, WOT's and fram filters. I don't even do the carbon clean anymore, but it took all three to eliminate the cold rap, as the carbon clean did little.

Well I 'd like to think that the oil life monitor is a whole lot smarter and more accurate than the 3month/3,000mile brain washing I was once a part of.... until I was unplugged from the matrix. :lol:

And once again I've been a bad boy and now the oil life monitor has gone from "Change Oil Soon" to just "Change Oil". Am I worried because I've already exceeded the 3,000 mile paranoid limit by 3,500+miles? You betcha! That tells me and perhaps you too just how much we've been fed information that wasn't entirely true. Don't get me wrong. Sure I feel better if I change the oil every 3,000 miles but only to satiate this nagging feeling that I'm somehow doing something wrong. Who put that in my head because I feel like a helpless sheep being controlled by a mad herder. :rolleyes:

So at every fill up I check the oil, expecting to smell burnt or discover signs of spent oil. What do you know..... it still looks, feels, and smells fine. Why should I be surprised? After all it is GM's business to know these things..... unless they're getting a kickback for trying to trick you into buying less oil. :lol::rolleyes:

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

The next time i change my oil i was thinking of using the Valvoline or Penzoil oil for cars over 75,000 miles. Is it worth the extra money, or not????

I'm using the Pennzoil High Mileage oil, and it's great stuff. You get the benefits of most "synthetic oils" (which really are mineral-based), with the much better price of a mineral oil. This stuff is only about $2.25/qt, for some really fantastic oil. The guys at bobistheoilguy.com oil forums really like most of the High Mileage oils, and I tend to trust what they say.

This stuff isn't "snake oil" or anything if that's what you're wondering. It has more seal enhancers than normal oils, and they usually come from a very high quality base stock. The Pennzoil is a Group II+, which is the best current mineral base I understand.

My SLS has been fed a constant diet of mineral oil and AC filters for all of her 142,000 miles, and I've never had excessive oil consumption, cold carbon rap or whatever that is, or any adverse engine effects. (And I don't even floorboard it everywhere I go either!) In fact, not even a cam cover has been off this engine. Use what the factory spec'd (a quality mineral oil and AC filters) and you'll be good to go for hundreds of thousands of miles!

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Unfortunately, some NS cars simply use more oil than others, it is a fact. Out 97 STS spent it's first several years without WOT procedures. It was only when I stated to drive it, that I noticed "opportunities". The things I mentioned proved to be the panacea to the cars' gremlins.

Archived