CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

This should be interesting

JIMDTS

I dropped my car off at the dealer today,the parts that were on order to repair the front heated seats arrived. So while I was at the dealer I mentioned I burned 2 quarts of oil in 1450 miles. The dealer is going to put my car on a monitoring program after they change the oil and filter and I will have to take the car back every 1,000 miles so they can check the oil for comsumption.I imagine this will be interesting...Anyone ever hear of this program??Talking with the dealer they said they will service the car with 8 quarts of oil. Sounds interesting The car should be done tomorrow And first thing I am going to do is check the oil level hot myself before I leave the shop..

Jim

Jim, yes I've heard of that program. I don't know much about it.

I still say 8 quarts of oil is too much, especially for a wet fill. If I were you, I'd have my oil changed elsewhere or start doing it yourself. They don't quite sound like they're that on the ball. Again, I think the only reason you're burning the oil is because THEY way overfilled it to begin with. I'd let the oil fall down to mid-way on the stick (checked hot, engine off, level surface) and then start to monitor it myself from there. I'd personally skip any further "work" at the dealership.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Hi Jason

I agree 8qts. is too much by 1/2qt. Who knows maybe they just ment they would bill me for 8qts and use 7.5. but I'm not leaving the shop until i chack the oil hot I really want to see the level on the dip stick I,m going to let it get up to normal operatin temp shut down wait a couple minutes then check the oil. It's a very large cadillac dealer they should be up to speed.Tomorrow will be interesting for sure.

Jim

Yea, I've heard of it too. It's the only way THEY can verify oil consumption. Of course if you are devious and are after a new engine there is nothing stopping you from draining a qt. before you take it in. The biggest thing I find odd is that a GM dealer is going to put 8 qts. in an engine they should know is rated for 7.5. Everyone on this board knows that the first 1/2 - 1 qt is going to go right through the PCV and out the tail pipe.

Hi Larry

I agree about the 8qts is too much but last time they changed the oil the bill had they added 8.8qts of oil I mentioned this today and they told me Oh that was a typo it should take 8 qts. go figure!!! I am just trying to cover my *smurf* in case something is really starting to go wrong. I doubt it but you never know..However LOL I would not complain should I get a new northstar out of the deal.It would be nice!! The car only has 37k on it know and still feels just like a new one I am driving an 03 dts today and it has 5k on the clock I can't tell any differance between the one I'm in now and mine with 37k

Jim

I might leave it be at that oil usage rate, but certainly I would not let them attempt to rebuild the engine if they offer you that choice -- in my experience it was much more trouble than it was worth!

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Hi Bruce

I agree I think the car was not serviced properly in the first place either over or under serviced and there is no consumption problem.But I did get a check oil light on the dic and was 2 quarts low in 1450 miles.I just wanted to go on record just in case something is really going amiss. I would not let them rebuild the engine I imagine it would really open up a big can of worms. The dealer changed a crank sensor inbetween the last oil chnge and when I got the check oil light I wonder if that could have had some bearing on this issue. like a lot of oil leaked out the tech pulled the sensor did they mess around with the filter etc etc you never know what someone did for sure.

Thanks for the advice

Jim

and for the oil usage test, the dealer changes the oil and the PCV valve to start the test. With the service writer, you should then go out and check the oil after the oil change -- on more than one of my dealer changes they overfilled to start the test :blink:

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Hi Bruce

Will do it's a must in my book. I will try to get the service manager vice the writer.

I know him and sometimes he just chringes when he sees me comming.I purchased many cars from the dealer in the past and have had a few run ins with him in the past but none on last last couple cars.The service manager is pretty sharp..He's usually floating around the service area.

Thanks

Jim

Hi Guys. This discussion reminds me that I need to get the car away from my wife long enough to go out on the interstate and do one of the WOT cleanouts. She puts in a ton of city miles on her job, and it doesn't get blown out enough, so now the consumption is getting a little too high, about 1000 miles per quart. Its got 96,000 on it now.

I think the "program" goes something like this. They change the oil, if the "check oil level" warning does NOT come on before the "change oil soon" light comes on, your consumption is considered normal.

Of course, the dealer, wanting to hedge his bet and skew the results in his favor, will overfill the engine with oil to begin with. This is the same principal that applies to "draining out a quart before you go back in" so all is fair in love and war.

The service manager can act as the referee when the car leaves the shop, the trick seems to be getting the dealership to trust what YOU do to the car between visits.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived