CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Twilight Sentinel

Scotty

I have the delay set to very short (all the way left), that my lights stay on probably 2 minutes or so, very unusual, they used to turn out very quickly maybe in 10 seconds... Could the cold weather be causing this, will this system set a code?

Hi Scotty,

I have no actual knowledge of the Twilight Sentinel mechanisim. I have always assumed that there was a slidewire type of rheostat that was controlled by the increase/decrease knob. It would seem to me that the wire has broken and the system has defaulted to the max time delay. Can you still turn the delay feature off? I'm just guessing, but I would think that you have a switch replacement in your future.

In the service manual for 1994, it shows a twlight sentinel/DLR module that is depicted as mounting on the rear of the headlight switch.

OT

I grew up in the Fingerlakes Region of NY. 20 miles north of Ithaca an the western shore of Cayuga Lake. Great place in the spring/summer/fall, but you paid for it in the winter months. Where is Smithtown located?

Good luck with your switch.

Britt

Britt

Hi Scotty,

I have no actual knowledge of the Twilight Sentinel mechanisim. I have always assumed that there was a slidewire type of rheostat that was controlled by the increase/decrease knob. It would seem to me that the wire has broken and the system has defaulted to the max time delay. Can you still turn the delay feature off? I'm just guessing, but I would think that you have a switch replacement in your future.

In the service manual for 1994, it shows a twlight sentinel/DLR module that is depicted as mounting on the rear of the headlight switch.

OT

I grew up in the Fingerlakes Region of NY. 20 miles north of Ithaca an the western shore of Cayuga Lake. Great place in the spring/summer/fall, but you paid for it in the winter months. Where is Smithtown located?

Britt

I have not tried turning it off but I will to see what happens, I think it turns the lights off altogether.

Smithtown is on Long Island east of New York City, there are NO redeeming features of Long Island :P , I was once at Buttermilk Falls just south of Ithaca, what a beautiful park... I need to go back one day

On my SLS, sliding the time delay knob all the way to the left turns off the twilight sentinal comletely. Then you can control your headlights with the knob like on a 1957 Chevy.

Then you have to rember to turn them on or off as the situation requires. I also have a 1996 Suburban, so I don't have any trouble switching from one vehicle to another. However the wife was driving the Suburban one evening, she called me on her cell and complained that the lights in the Suburban weren't working. I asked her which ones were out and she said all of them! It took me a second, and then I asked her if she had turned them on. Dead silence---- a muffled "darn" and then CLICK. :P She hung up. She wouldn't even look at me when she got home. She was kind of angry, like it was MY fault. :lol:

Anyway, If you are back up in the Ithaca area, take NY 89 north to Taughannock Falls State Park. The falls there is 213 feet high. The highest falls east of the Mississippi. It is impressive anytime, but really impressive after the spring thaw or a heavy rain. If you like waterfalls and rural areas you will like that area of NY.

Take care

Britt

Britt

OT

Britt

Scotty,

Have you tried sliding the delay just slightly to the right? Or tried moving the slider back and forth? I've seen that happen only once before. Like it was a short but was cleared by moving it side to side. Could have been a foreign particle?

Britt,

I'm getting married this summer on the west side of Cayuga Lake at Sheldrake Point Vineyards. Do you know of it? Beautiful area and you're right about the weather. Definitely rough winters there.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

On my SLS, sliding the time delay knob all the way to the left turns off the twilight sentinal comletely. Then you can control your headlights with the knob like on a 1957 Chevy.

Then you have to rember to turn them on or off as the situation requires. I also have a 1996 Suburban, so I don't have any trouble switching from one vehicle to another. However the wife was driving the Suburban one evening, she called me on her cell and complained that the lights in the Suburban weren't working. I asked her which ones were out and she said all of them! It took me a second, and then I asked her if she had turned them on. Dead silence---- a muffled "darn" and then CLICK. :P She hung up. She wouldn't even look at me when she got home. She was kind of angry, like it was MY fault. :lol:

Anyway, If you are back up in the Ithaca area, take NY 89 north to Taughannock Falls State Park. The falls there is 213 feet high. The highest falls east of the Mississippi. It is impressive anytime, but really impressive after the spring thaw or a heavy rain. If you like waterfalls and rural areas you will like that area of NY.

Take care

Britt

Thanks Britt! I am there in the spring, thanks for the tip! Mike

Anyway, If you are back up in the Ithaca area, take NY 89 north to Taughannock Falls State Park. The falls there is 213 feet high.

Britt,

How about Seneca Lake? Any place by it which is worth seeing?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Kger2, Scotty & Adllac,

Darn, talk about a small world!

Kger2, The vinyard at Sheldrake Point is on the farm that I used to work when I was a kid. We used to milk 80 head of cows there. The farmer asked me if I could do the chores for a couple of days while he went to NYC to visit is ill father. A couple of days turned into more than a week! I was 16 at the time. After that week + I vowed that I would NEVER be a dairy farmer. :P

The house that I grew up in is the 2nd place to the south with a white garage & green roof. The people that bought our old home place started to completely remodel the place, gutted it, added on the rear and then ran out of money and are getting divorced. So the place is just sitting there. (Last that I heard)

Adallak & Scotty,

There is another state park called Watins Glenn that has a walk through the gorge. It is beautiful and has several waterfalls. The trail goes under and behind the falling water in one place. Of course, there is the race track at Watkins Glenn also.

If you are interested in early aircraft, there is the Glenn Curtis Museum in Hammondsport NY.

Now I am getting homesick. :(

Krger2 Good Luck with your Wedding. Remember, I have harvested corn hearded Holstines and spread manure all over that vinyard! :blink: 40 years ago! ;)

Britt

Britt

Adallak & Scotty,

There is another state park called Watins Glenn that has a walk through the gorge. It is beautiful and has several waterfalls. The trail goes under and behind the falling water in one place. Of course, there is the race track at Watkins Glenn also.

If you are interested in early aircraft, there is the Glenn Curtis Museum in Hammondsport NY.

:D Thanks Britt,

Looks like there are some great places just within 100 miles. I will definitely take the Caddy for a ride in April-May. :)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Then you have to rember to turn them on or off as the situation requires. I also have a 1996 Suburban, so I don't have any trouble switching from one vehicle to another.

Take care

Britt

It's the opposite with us we just get out of the Caddy and they go off, then in the other cars we come out to a drained battery

Scotty, Mine was doing the same thing (excessive delay). The dealer changed the headlight switch (Warranty). THAT wasn't it. Next they changed a sensor (center on top of dash). That took care of it. Any how, that's what they told me.

rek

Kger2, Scotty & Adllac,

Darn, talk about a small world!

Kger2, The vinyard at Sheldrake Point is on the farm that I used to work when I was a kid. We used to milk 80 head of cows there. The farmer asked me if I could do the chores for a couple of days while he went to NYC to visit is ill father. A couple of days turned into more than a week! I was 16 at the time. After that week + I vowed that I would NEVER be a dairy farmer. :P

The house that I grew up in is the 2nd place to the south with a white garage & green roof. The people that bought our old home place started to completely remodel the place, gutted it, added on the rear and then ran out of money and are getting divorced. So the place is just sitting there. (Last that I heard)

Adallak & Scotty,

Now I am getting homesick.  :(

Krger2 Good Luck with your Wedding. Remember, I have harvested corn hearded Holstines and spread manure all over that vinyard!  :blink:  40 years ago! ;)

Britt

Britt,

Well no wonder those grapes grow so well :lol: . Thanks for the Good Luck. It really is a small world. I can't wait to tell my fiance how someone on the caddy board is tied into the wedding site. And she has the nerve to think I waste too much time on here. :lol::ph34r:

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Archived