CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

93 STS Slight Vibration

jamesg

What kind of vibrations? Harsh shifts? Poor idle quality? If your car has made 100 000 miles+ it´s likely time to clean the EGR valve, throttle body, phenolic spacers etc, change fuel and air filter, change plugs and perhaps plug wires too.

The are lots of posts in the old Cadillac message board about these topics.

Reguards

A slight vibration on the steering wheel and you can barely feel it in the driver's and passgenger seats. I had a tune up at 100,000 new wires plat plugs, the whole nine yards, new fuel filter, cleaned throttle body, new air filter after each oil change. Have not cleaned or replaced egr valve yet or changed O2 sensors or cleaned phenolic spacers yet.

Check for codes first, but I would clean EGR valve and Plates as the next step ;)

I´ll agree. And while you´re at it, clean the electrical connections to the ignition module with anti-corrosive "oil", and make sure that the ignition coil connections for the spark plug wires aren´t burned or corroded. That could happen if the former wire set was bad. The ignition system is quite sensitive ie it needs good connections.

I would be surprised if these things together wouldn´t make some difference.

Make sure that you hold the EGR valve in upright position when you spray solvent into it. You don´t want the solvent to get passed the sealing inside because it can damage the electrical insulation.

Check for codes first, but I would clean EGR valve and Plates as the next step ;)

At idle, there is no EGR flow so I wouldn't think that the EGR system is causing the problem as long as the pintle position code is not set.

Have you checked the fuel pressure regulator? With the key on (DO NOT start the engine), there should not be any fuel leaking out of the nipple on the FPR.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

And while you´re at it, clean the electrical connections to the ignition module with anti-corrosive "oil", and make sure that the ignition coil connections for the spark plug wires aren´t burned or corroded.

I installed timeserts and replaced my head gaskets about 3000 miles ago. While the engine was all apart, I had had new plugs and wires installed, had the EGR passages including phenolic spacer cleaned and all that sort of routine 100,000 mile type maintenance done. The EGR valve itself was replaced about 5000 miles ago.

Ever since I've had the car back, the idle has occasionally been a little rough as if there is a slight intermittent ignition problem. Often, it's fine and it is entirely possible that I'm just overly sensitive to it. (There have been no codes set.)

I'm wondering if the above suggestions might be worth looking into. If so, please tell me where the ignition module is and what type of anti corrosive "oil" should I use to clean the connections? Should I use the same stuff to clean the ignition coil connections for the spark plug wires? What about the connections at the spark plugs?

Any information or suggestions would be appreciated.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Not to frighten you, when I bought my STS, I had a vibration in the engine.

Long story short, it was a burned exhaust valve. Compression on one cyl was down to 55 lbs.

It was 1000 mi. over the warranty. GM would do nothing !!!!!!!!!!!

I suspect the previous owner had carbon build up under the valve and it eventually burned.

If you can't find the problem, get the compression checked.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

I think my STS idles better than any Volvo I´ve had, including the 6-cylinder 960.

As bbobynski says "it´s the nature of the beast" to get a slight vibration with a high output engine like this

I´ve done some major tune up and for everything I´ve changed, cleaned etc the car runs better and better and idles quite smooth now, almost as good as my -88 Eldo :rolleyes:

The only thing I want to do is to change my EGR-valve beacuse of a rattling noice. It helped a great lot when I cleaned it, the idle went better and the shifts are so smooth now!

Archived