CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Won't crank over in Park?

STS Scott

Just this weekend the STS started to act up like it usually does when the battery connection get corroded.

The situation where everthing will go on, except the starter will not engage to start the engine.

So, I got out the wratchet set, cleaned the battery and wire connections, and hooked it all back up again.

It was to no avail though.

Eventually, my Dad and I determined that if you put it in neutral, it will crank over just fine. With that in mind, the car is at least functional again, but not 100%. I just hope it does not progress to the point of not starting at all.

What could it be?

The battery is fine, as are the connections. Maybe something to do with the gear selector switch?

Thanks for any input!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Sounds like your neutral switch is defective or out of adjustment.

It's located on top of the transaxle housing, just below the power brake/master cylinder.

To determine if adjustment is a problem, in park, try holding the key in the cranking position and push the shifter further into park. If nothing happens, then gently pull the shifter from the park position to near the "R" position.

If you get the starter to connect in one direction or the other, then possibly the switch could be adjusted to correct the problem.

If you get no response, then likely you will need a new switch.

It's not difficult to change, remove one bolt that holds the shift lever, then disconnect the electrical connector and lift the switch off.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Eventually, my Dad and I determined that if you put it in neutral, it will crank over just fine. With that in mind, the car is at least functional again, but not 100%. I just hope it does not progress to the point of not starting at all.

Check the Park/Neutral switch. I'm not sure where yours is located, but typically it can be found mounted on the transmission housing. The shift cable is likely to be terminated at the same point. An adjustment may do the job, but it may need replacing.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

STSScott,

There is a method to set/adjust the switch on your vehicle. It is called out in the service manual. A pin or drill bit is used to time the switch to the transmission. If it gets very far out of adjustment, you will get a messed up shift sequence.

This is appoximately what my 1994 manual says the procedure is.

Shift the transaxle into neutral, remove the shift linkage from the transmission, loosen the two bolts that hold the switch to the transmission. Use a 3/32 gage pin (or blunt end of a 3/32 drill bit) and rotate the switch until you can insert the pin/drill through the slot in the switch collar and into the shift shaft. You should be able to insert the pin almost 1/2 inch. (15/32"). Then tighten the two switch hold down bolts to 20 lbs. ft. (That seems like a lot for the bolt size.) Remove the pin & reinstall the linkage to the shaft.

That procedure should time the switch to the transmission. If it cures your non start in park problem then all it needed was adjustment. If not, then I would replace the switch.

Remember, timing the switch to the transaxle is critical to the proper operation of the transmission shift points. :o It is much more than just a neutral safety switch.

Good Luck

Britt

Britt

Oh, wow. Thanks for the heads-up Britt!

I didn't realize it could escalate to such a problem.

I would probably consider doing the adjustment if the weather was not as unpleasant as it is at this time of year. The car is bound to go in for servive in about 2-3 weeks, as I usually get all the bothers worked out during an oil change. I'll relay the info to my trusted mechanic.

In the mean time, the problem is intermittent. I can always get it started by poping it in neutral though.

Thanks again, I'll post back when I make some progress.

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

Archived