CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My headlights suck!!!!!!!!

canadian95sts

I have a 95 STS, and the dim dull headlights are driving me crazy. Can anyone recommend some good lights, and where to buy them. I am looking to replace both high and low beams, and posibly the fog lights.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

I use SilverStar lamps. Caution! They aren't supposed to last as long as OEM lamps, but are an improvement in that they are brighter and whiter than an OEM halogen lamp. Some use a high-beam lamp instead of a low beam lamp. You have to modify the tabs, with a file, so it will go in. also, you have to modify the plug-in connector. Make sure to check the AIM of the lamps so you won't blind the on coming traffic!

rek

Make sure that they are aimed right. I also had lousy headlights on a '95 STS until I re-aimed them. If they don't overlap then they appear overly dim. Then they were OK.

I installed a set of Xenon 80W bulbs in the low beam only.

Great improvement.

I'm going to get a set of 100W high beam soon.

Available at any speed shop or automotive acc. shop.

Bought mine from a truck cap place.

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

I recently made the conversion on my '93 STS to all Silverstar #9005 65 watt high beam bulbs. (That's replacing the standard #9006 55w low beam, and standard #9005 65w high beam.) The modification is simple, and changes only the bulb base, not the socket, so no harm is done in any case. The result is very clear bright white light, which of course when aimed properly does not bother oncoming drivers. I replaced them in early January '04, so we'll see how long they last. At 18-20 bucks a bulb it's well worth it to me, even if they only last a year. I like to see real well at night!! ( I also added the relay kit that keeps all four bulbs on when, the high beams are engaged.)

Here's a link to the page with all the instructions:

http://bmwz.org/articles/lighting/mod0506bulb/

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Another thing that I have done on both my cars is a high power light harness. Easy to install and you get a full 14+ volts to your lights. www.suvlights.com

Silverstars are as good as the PIAAs. If you get any of the blueish "HID like" bulbs you cant see for s**t in the rain.

I am thinking about changing to Silver Stars. I am curious if anybody has experience on how long they do last.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Hello everyone.

I have a good deal of experence with extra bright headlight bulbs and I thought I would put in my .50 worth. I have used several different bulbs in all of my vehicles. Without a doubt, the PIAA bulbs are the best if you are looking for very bright, white headlights. Silver Stars have been mentioned here and I have done a direct comparison with the Silver stars and PIAAs. The Silver Stars are OK but they are yellow compared against the PIAAs. My son had a set of PIAA super whites (55/60)in his Honda and one burnt out. He didn't want to drive with one light out and our dealer was out of the PIAA bulb. I told him to get the Silver Star and try it. The difference was very dissapointing. It was as much of a difference as the Silver Star are against stock bulbs. Another set of PIAAs are on the way! I have a Honda sport bike (99, 900RR) I put in the PIAA super whites and the difference WAS night and day. I have tried Xenon as well. PIAA has newer models than mine that are brighter and whiter than ever. They even have one than is in the 8000 Kelvin range on low and 6000 on high. Right there with HIDs (high intensity discharge). They are imported from Japan and say they are for offroad use only but I am going to get a set for my SS. Here is a website that has a huge number of bulbs available as well as HID conversions. If you want better light, check out this website. Take the time to look at the different bulbs they carry and read the info. PIAA is tops. This site also has higher wattage bulbs but if you have composite headlights, stay away from the higher wattage bulbs as they will burn a brown spot right in the focal path of the beam. Looks like cra_ and not good for performance after the damage is done. Here is the web address. check it out. I recommend PIAA over any others out there. The Super Whites in my 93 chevy pickup are over 3 years old and still going strong. Two years old in the bike.

http://www.eautoworks.com

I recently made the conversion on my '93 STS to all Silverstar #9005 65 watt high beam bulbs. (That's replacing the standard #9006 55w low beam, and standard #9005 65w high beam.) The modification is simple, and changes only the bulb base, not the socket, so no harm is done in any case. The result is very clear bright white light, which of course when aimed properly does not bother oncoming drivers. I replaced them in early January '04, so we'll see how long they last. At 18-20 bucks a bulb it's well worth it to me, even if they only last a year. I like to see real well at night!! ( I also added the relay kit that keeps all four bulbs on when, the high beams are engaged.)

Where did you get the kit that keeps all four bulbs on when the high beams are engaged?

Thanks.

I recently made the conversion on my '93 STS to all Silverstar #9005 65 watt  high beam bulbs. (That's replacing the standard #9006 55w low beam, and standard #9005 65w high beam.) The  modification is simple, and changes only the bulb base, not the socket, so no harm is done in any case. The result is very clear bright white light, which of course when aimed properly does not bother oncoming drivers. I replaced them in early January '04, so we'll see how long they last.  At 18-20 bucks a bulb it's well worth it to me, even if they only last a year. I like to see real well at night!! ( I also added the relay kit that keeps all four bulbs on when, the high beams are engaged.)

Where did you get the kit that keeps all four bulbs on when the high beams are engaged?

Thanks.

The kit is made by 'KC Hilites', 'Quad Beam' part#6314. You can get it at any good aftermarket performance or 4WD store locally, or on the internet for around twenty bucks. The kit includes everything you'll need including instructions and a pictorial and takes about 10 minutes.

Keep in mind this application may not work on 1999 and newer models that use a negatively switched headlight systems.

The result is a vast improvement IMO, especailly out in the counrtry where I live. You not only get your (high beam) long distance lighting, but retain the shorter distance broader lighting pattern. For some reason that escapes me, most auto manufactures chose cancel the low beams when the highs are on, a few years back now. The result is a dark area immediatley in front of you at all times with the high beams on. To see the difference, (or what it would be like with this relay installed), drive at night down a dark road with only the low beams on. Gently pull the high beam actuator towards you without 'clicking' the switch. You will have all four lights on in this temporary mode. Hold it for a bit, then continue to engage the high beams with a click. The amount of lost lighting as a result is remarkable...

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Just a note on the Silverstars. I replaced burnt out Silverstar a couple of years ago with another Silverstar. The replacement was yellower than the original Silverstar bulb. It turned out (I don't know that this is still true) that there were three styles of the bulbs. One you would never mistake as it is very yellow for the french market, one is bluish white which is the original set I purchased and one has a lower kelvin temp. and thus a faintly yellowish and dimmer light in the blue white spectrum. Unfortunatly I'd got hold of this bulb as a replacement. The box and instructions as well as the kelvin range on those instructions was the same as the whiter bulbs! Hopefully there aren't more of those sets floating around.

Archived