CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Blower Motor issues

jimkujo

I have been having this issue with my Blower motor not working with any consistency. For the past few weeks it has been doing this. Most of the time it does not come on at all. Sometimes it will come on like normal for instance on my way to work, then it will not come on after work on my way home. Other times it hasn't worked or 2-3 days. And then it will work again. It seems to be in the couple day stage of not working again. It's crazy. I try to put it on the different settings and this doesn't seem to make a difference.

I just put this Blower in a little over a year ago(New AC Delco). It seems to work fine when it decides to come on. What could be causing this and how do I diagnose this problem? Something loose? Is there some type of fuse/module etc. that could be going bad here or maybe wiring? Any help or advice/instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Same thing happened to my 02 DTS last summer and the motor had to be replaced under warranty. The service rep said that the motor developed a bad spot on the motor start winding or some such thing. Mine was also intermittent....sometimes it would just come back on...sometimes not.

Thanks for the response guys. I did try the hammer tap though to no avail. But I don't think that it is my motor thats bad. The reason I say this is because I also have a spare motor that I know worked (When I bought the car I found out that the squirrel cage was broke and i had to buy a motor basically just for the cage) that I tried to plug into the plug and this one doesn't work either. So basically I have what I believe to be two good motors(1 good squirrel cage), and no heat in the dead of a Michigan winter.

Tracing wires, fuses, any modules or anything I should check? Where do I go from here? So if anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

What other years are the 95 Blower Motors compatible with? I would like to plug in my spare motor into another caddy to verify that it does work?

I just went through diagnosing a blower motor problem. I hate to say this but if the fuses and motor are good then I think the only thing left is the programmer unless there is a short or open somewhere. I'd check that out closely as the programmer is big $.

If you go to http://www.acdelco.com you can find a part numer for the blower motor and then cross reference that number to see what other cars it fits.

Thanks for the Link Adallak, It turned out to be the blower motor relay fuse under the hood(wasn't even aware of those). Turned out to be a 2 dollar fix. Thanks everyone. Anyone with blower motor issues should check these out as one of the first steps.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been having the same problem with my 1995 DeVille, only mine tends not to work when it is cold outside. I had a thread going about it ("HVAC fan mystery"), but I haven't figured it out yet. I think two dollars is worth a try though.

Are these relays the same thing as the plastic Maxi-fuses under the hood? If not where under the hood are they and what do they look like? Thanks.

hey, i was just about to start a new topic about this....Im new to this site and i just got my 95 STS 3 days ago, awesome deal. Anyways. mechanically it needed a blower motor and the water pump. Got the car all pulled apart, waiting on a waterpump socket to pull it out. I was gonna go take care of the blower motor next. Im glad i read this post, I was about to pull it out and it seems like this is a comman problem with these cars. im going to check now, ill keep you guys posted. thanks Nick

I got mine from gmpartdirect $212 shipped (as best as I can recall). Best price I could find. Getting the old one out was not too bad. It was partially disassembled in place so it came out easily after all the wiring and the cross brace were out of the way. The new one however was another story. It has been redesigned and must be installed in one piece. The right cam cover is in the way and in my case I had to get a big pry bar and force it in. I thought sure I was going to break it but was assured by a mechanic at the local dealer that I wouldn't. At one point I even removed the dog bones and tried to no avail to rotate the engine forward a bit to give me the extra clearance I needed.

One day mine wouldn't work but that was because snow blew under the hood then it melted into water then that froze into ice and the motor shut itself off! The next day I took my car for a really good drive and it thawed and it works fine now!!! :D

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

When my blower motor was acting up, it turned out to be the module that controls it. I replaced the module and everything was fine for a while, then it acted up again. I had the mechanic look at it, he cleaned the plug that connects to the module and tightened up the metal clips inside the plug that were apparently stretched out and not making proper contact with the prongs that they attach to. It's fine now.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Are these blower fan relays the same thing as the plastic Maxi-fuses under the hood? If not where under the hood are they and what do they look like? Thanks.

They are not the same. The Maxi Fuses on my car (1992) are located toward the front of the engine compartment, driver's side. The Fan Module is at the rear of the engine compartment near the top of the firewall toward the passenger side, but mostly just off center a bit.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Archived