CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Engine Steam Cleaning

pats37

An early day today. Have a 6:45AM flight.

We have this large care care operation here (carwash, int.detailing, ext. detailing, oil and cooling system service, etc.) that is promoting engine steam cleaning.

My 98 STS is a "creampuff." Clean as a whistle and low mileage but the engine compartment could use a cleaning. I couldn't determine what the "caustics" used in the steam cleaning process would have on an aluminum block or all of the wiring and connectors for that matter nor could the attendant.

Does anyone have any experience or advice to offer? I will not get into anything like this unless I know the pros and cons.

No steam or pressure for me, thank you.

I mix a detergent / cleaner with water in a spray bottle and apply to the oily, greasy, dirty spots. Let sit for 5 or 10 minutes, then rinse with the hose pressure only. Repeat as necessary; light brushing might be required.

Zep Industrial Purple cleaner works well; be sure to rinse (flush) thoroughly.

Stubborn accumulations will get a treatment with aerosol brake parts cleaner.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

pats37,

I would stay away from steam cleaning!

I think the dangerous of intoducing gremlins into the electrical

system far outweighs the nice clean engine...

you asked! :lol:

my .02 :D

My engine compartments never get very dirty because I usually clean them once every spring. A spray bottle with some dishwashiing detergent will work fine on oily areas then rinse with a garden hose. I have also used a $10 - $20 "engine cleaning" attatchment that can be purchased at most tool stores like harbor freight . It is simply an air compressor blow gun with a long nozzle and a syphon hose. Put the syphon hose in soapy water and spray the engine down. Then put the syphon hose in a bucket of clear water to rinse. It works pretty well. I have since purchased a small high pressure washer and that works even better and I never even use detergent. The car may run a bit rough when finished but will dry out in short order as the engine heats up.

Ranger if you find one of those engine cleaners let me know, I just went to harbor freight and did not see it, that attachment looks interesting.

Harbor Freight is an incredible place in terms of variety and prices, huh? Mike

I just use armour all all purpose cleaner and an old rag it works great. The only problme is on the engine where it says 32 Valve Northstar V8 has gone yellow how do i get this off?

post-3-1105207566.jpg

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

O ya and i'm looking for suggestions on something elso to the black plastic thst is where the shifterknob has started to peel I would like some suggestions on what I can do the pic below is the best i could get it's not my car my digital camara is broken so this is the best pic i could find thanks.

post-3-1105209279.jpg

user posted image

I just use armour all all purpose cleaner and an old rag it works great. The only problme is on the engine where it says 32 Valve Northstar V8 has gone yellow how do i get this off?

I love that baby blue!

I just use armour all all purpose cleaner and an old rag it works great.  The only problme is on the engine where it says 32 Valve Northstar V8 has gone yellow how do i get this off?

I love that baby blue!

What do you Baby blue?

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

O ya and i'm looking for suggestions on something elso to the black plastic thst is where the shifterknob has started to peel I would like some suggestions on what I can do the pic below is the best i could get it's not my car my digital camara is broken so this is the best pic i could find thanks.

mine is like that to, among other things....

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

I just use armour all all purpose cleaner and an old rag it works great.  The only problme is on the engine where it says 32 Valve Northstar V8 has gone yellow how do i get this off?

I love that baby blue!

What do you Baby blue?

Did you paint it that color?

I have a 96, the routing of my ignition wires is different, they come straight out from under the plastic cover and go directly to the plugs, looking at yours I am going to check my ignition wire routing...

Paint what that clour?? It's like oil and grease but there's nothing around my house strong enough to take it off. I want to know if theres ANYTHING out there thats can take it off! lol :D

user posted image

Paint what that clour??  It's like oil and grease but there's nothing around my house strong enough to take it off.  I want to know if theres ANYTHING out there thats can take it off! lol :D

OH SORRY, the closer that I look at that picture its just the way it was exposed it looked baby blue.... Now I see that is not blue.... :blink:

Ranger if you find one of those engine cleaners let me know, I just went to harbor freight and did not see it, that attachment looks interesting.

Harbor Freight is an incredible place in terms of variety and prices, huh? Mike

Here ya go Mike. For the price, they work pretty well.

http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/ccn_sear...0/adtg/01050541

And yet another but WAY over priced.

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?ci...ID=489665&fp=F#

And still another from Northern.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...=DF&cm_ite=shop

I swear Harbor Freight has them but I can't find 'em either. Can't remember where I got mine. I've had it for ever.

Thanks Ranger, I gotta git me one a doze...LOL

We are tied at 1686.... I have been TRYING NOT to pass you the last few days :unsure:

Oh please, be my guest. I've been trying to hold back :lol:

Thanks Ranger, I gotta git me one a doze...LOL

We are tied at 1686.... I have been TRYING NOT to pass you the last few days  :unsure:

Oh please, be my guest. I've been trying to hold back :lol:

You have been there forever, the crown is rightfully yours, I have been trying to post sparingly :lol:

You want to be careful with brake cleaner under the hood because it eats some plastic for lunch. An acient formula is one cup Tide laundry compound in one gallon of hot water. I have done major thick grease with this mix, and it works better than any degreaser on the market.

Old toothbrushes are godd tools. Use a lighter and heat up an area behind the head; then, bend it to get a better angle. Standing by the sink wiht the cold water running, I heat/bend the brush. And while holding the brush at the desierd bend, cool it under the running water.

I don't let anything on my car, especially the inside of the throttle body, get dusty let alone grimey.

post-3-1105254199.jpg

Jim D, Cadiking, Ed F., Ranger, Caddy sts;

Just got back home. Air travel is great if you like delays, getting felt up, removing your shoes, and being looked at like a criminal. People used to be in a good mood and sociable when they flew. Not any more. Just go to an airport bar and bring up flying these days and all you hear is bit*h, bit*h, bit*h, and that was me! The frequent flyers are worse! I now know that if I spot a terrorist I will enjoy killing him with my bare hands while smiling.

Thanks for all of the input. Your opinions reflected my sentiments but the suggestions were very helpful. Even though I own a pressure washer I never thought of it for automotive use. I have Simple green but don't think that is strong enough. I will look into Zep Purple Jim, thanks. I don't think I like Armorall for the engine compt because it is a dirt collector. I don't want the plastic shiny, just clean.

The aerosol brake parts cleaner is something else I'll get.

Caddy sts, buy a small can of "Goop" or "Oops" (different brands, same basic product) at any hardware store and try it on a very small portion of the label (it is strong stuff!) it may remove the yellow you have. If that doesn't work, try acetone just as cautiously.

Thank you all, you have been a great help. The Internet is great! So is this board.

Now I'm going to try to sleep for a week. <_<

Regards to all.

You want to be careful with brake cleaner under the hood because it eats some plastic for lunch. An acient formula is one cup Tide laundry compound in one gallon of hot water. I have done major thick grease with this mix, and it works better than any degreaser on the market.

Old toothbrushes are godd tools. Use a lighter and heat up an area behind the head; then, bend it to get a better angle. Standing by the sink wiht the cold water running, I heat/bend the brush. And while holding the brush at the desierd bend, cool it under the running water.

I don't let anything on my car, especially the inside of the throttle body, get dusty let alone grimey.

Wow that is beautiful!

Scotty Posted on Jan 9 2005, 07:18 AM

QUOTE (an01sts @ Jan 9 2005, 07:03 AM)

Wow that is beautiful! 

I second that. I stay on top of the engine compartment of my STS as well. I know when these things get out of hand, it takes more effort to get it lookin' good again!

Jim

So as long as your carful brake cleaner will not harm anything? I was going to use it but was not sure what I could put it on and what I could NOT!

user posted image

Archived