CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Oil

I never thougt that he would be telling me that just because he wants me to get the oil changed more often cause I actually told him I get it changed at wal-mart!!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

I never thougt that he would be telling me that just because he wants me to get the oil changed more often cause I actually told him I get it changed at wal-mart!!

I dont think some of these guys have any reason for making stupid comments, I think its their egos speaking and I think that some of these guys are malcontents and know it alls that make dumb statements. Whatever the reason he is misinformed.

Jason,

Thanks for your inputs as well!

Yeah, what Bbobynski said! I knew it was something about oil shear, and the gerotor oil pump, but the engineer in the know always has a way of clearing the mud! Thanks.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Until I joined this discussion group, I changed oil and filter the old way, 3/3000. Since I got educated by Mr. Bbobynski, I use the Oil Life Indicator as to when to change the oil. Thanks for the education Mr. Bbobynski on all the questions I have asked in the past such as overheating on the Baker Grade.

Now that I know this maybe I will start to go by my oil life indicator. HA HA thanks guys.

user posted image

Phew! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one using the OLI (or is it OLM?). It's nice not having to keep track of when i last changed the oil. The message across the DIC "Change Oil Soon" is certainly hard to miss. Even when the message flashes I don't sweat an extra week or two of hard driving. I find myself topping the oil off (quarter bottle) at every fill up so the oil never really gets bad. I run 10w30 all year round but top off with 5w30 during the winter. I have to admit that I was once the 3/3000 oil changer too and being a member of this board has been a real education.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Phew! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one using the OLI (or is it OLM?). It's nice not having to keep track of when i last changed the oil. The message across the DIC "Change Oil Soon" is certainly hard to miss. Even when the message flashes I don't sweat an extra week or two of hard driving. I find myself topping the oil off (quarter bottle) at every fill up so the oil never really gets bad. I run 10w30 all year round but top off with 5w30 during the winter. I have to admit that I was once the 3/3000 oil changer too and being a member of this board has been a real education.

No I think I was the only one that wasn't useing it!!!!!!!

user posted image

bbobynski Posted on Jan 4 2005, 06:32 PM

Thanks Again!

I must admit I've never heard of these particular types of oil. Currently I run Castrol GTX 20W-50. I may even run this type of oil in 92 Bronco, since (I'm presuming ...) it is basically the same type of engine as my Firebird, though it is fuel injected.

Jim

bbobynski Posted on Jan 4 2005, 08:14 PM

The addition of a pint or so of EOS will add extra ZDP to whatever oil is in the crankcase and provide extra wear protection for those rubbing element lifters and distributor gear, etc.

Pardner, for this advice your giving me I feel I should drop a check in the mail. Since were talking about additives, how do you feel about the SLIK 50's and and such that are out there? I know people whio swear by this stuff, yet I've heard stories that it will void a warranty. What's the real story? I have yet to find a service/repair manual that recommends this stuff.

Truthfully, I look at adding oil additives like I look at shoving medicine down the hatch. It is something I just don't do litely and with my engines, I don't do it at all.

Jim

Your discreption of the oils additives goes with exactly what I was suspecting, except, I didn't have any experiece/knowledge to back it up.

As you know, the GM coolant supplement/BarsLeaks sealer has been mentioned frequently and sounds like it is a "must" for these Northstar engines. Sounds like it can be used on all automobile cooling systems.

The GM EOS suppliment, I had never heard of until you mentioned it and certainly will be stopping by a GM dealer tomorrow to get some.

Another area I'm real funny about is positive traction differential additives. I will only use the GM suppliment for this.

Gotta' take care of those old muscle cars. These modern engines are quite a work of art, but I still enjoy the sound of the secondaries opening up once in a while.

Thanks Again for all the info.

Jim

I'm not the best to answer that. As often as I change the oil, I figure the brand doesn't matter that much. However, I usually use Valvoline 5W-30.

Jim

So 5W-30 is a good type to use?

user posted image

Archived