CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Turn signal issues 96 Eldorado

If the turn signals only work when the hazard warning switch is on, then the turn signals are really not working at all, it's the hazard warning switch that is flashing the same lights.

Does the turn signal switch move into the turn positions normally, and return normally when you try to use it?

If there is a problem, it is probably in the steering column or under the dash. Don't think about that until you figure out where to look.

Most electrical problems will throw an OBD code. Check the OBD codes using your A/C buttons (see link in my signature block for a Caddyinfo how-to page on that) and post the codes here, and that may help.

I have a 1997 FSM and there are others here that have a 1996 FSM. We'll look at the wiring schematics when we have more information on exactly what is happening.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

No such thing as codes for the turn signal switch.

The turn signal and hazard switch are really the same unit. Sounds like a worn out turn signal switch assembly.

Sadly...a moderate repair. The air bag, steering wheel, and lock plate have to come off to replace.

That said...it could be a bad flasher unit...there is a traditional silver can one for the 4 way hazards....and a elaborate plastic black box one for the standard turn signals.

P0603 Control Module Long Term Memory Reset
P1520 Transmission Range Switch Circuit
B1558 BCM EPROM Checksum Error
B1552 Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error

I don't have the IRC codes handy.

I believe I translated this same list on another thread.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 1 month later...

What 'unit' do you mean? The turn signal switch assembly?

I added a picture of a turn signal switch from a Fiero. They of course, had no air bag in the way. But pretty much the same Saginaw steering column used for years in GM vehicles.

Using a 1994 switch may work. Then again, maybe not. There is also a clockspring assembly that is used for the air bags. That too is attached on top of the turn signal switch. There were changes made every couple of years to the air bags..also the vehicle wiring went thru substantial changes for OBDII for '96.

The hard part is snaking the long harness down thru the steering column.

post-2-0-68574600-1457217563_thumb.jpg

Wow...first CD I checked had the picture I was looking for.

10 year old pic.....turn signal switch replacement in a STS.....air bag coil clockspring has the blue tape on it to keep it from turning. Turn signal switch floating above it. (above radio)

Snaking the turn signal switch harness down thru the column to near the brake pedal is the difficult part.

To get to this stage....you have to pull the airbag....then you need a steering wheel puller to get the wheel off....then a lock plate tool to get the lock plate off.

post-2-0-12662900-1457294201_thumb.jpg

Archived