CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2003 Caddy DTS

Last Summer I replaced the Two Front Struts ABS Module and the Rear Brake Pads. I flushed the whole system as the Brake Fluid was contaminated it was flushed with new Brake fluid at all four wheels and removed the Master cylinder and flushed it also. I can't get rid of the codes Service Susp. Sys. Change Brake Pads and Speed Limit to 90 and believe me it won't go over 90MPH All the Sensors are plugged in I double checked for the Pads and the plugs for tthe Struts are connected. Do I need a GM. Computer to clear these codes. The Front Brakes have 20,000mi. left on them. Please advise.

Frank H.

You can clear the codes with the A/C buttons and the Driver Information Center (DIC) near the speedometer, but that may not fix the problem. Use the link in my signature block for instructions on how to read the OBD codes (and clear them), and post them here. Watch for CURRENT codes, which won't clear. Post them here and we will see what they tell us about the car.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Just curious since I just did struts on a DTS did you use OEM struts? If not then the struts are not active struts and you have to buy and install resistors or a kit to convert passive struts that has a plug in resistor pack to turn off the service suspension light.

I think the factory replacement struts were over $700 each and I used Monroe struts that were about $130 each. And radio shack resistors for $2.49.

The brake pads warning won't limit speed just the suspension will. The brake pad sensors for front might be worn or the front or rear sensors could be broken or unplugged.

Monroe sold active shocks and struts for 1992-1999 Cadillacs until recently, so Monroe shocks and struts for your 2003 Cadillac probably were available in your choice of active or passive suspension. Of course, if your car did not come with active suspension, the correct Monroe shocks and struts would not have active suspension.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I thought all DTS had active suspension.

Until we know what codes the owner has on this car its all a guess. Hope we find out soon.

My caveat about the Deville having active suspension includes the 90's, and active suspension may well be standard by 2003. Others here that are closer to the dealerships or have frequent exposure to many late-model Cadillacs will know.

I believe all the 2001 and up DTS have active suspension standard. I've heardbof a few cars with magna ride but not sure what models .

I just checked the Monroe web site e-catalog and they do not offer electronic shocks for the 2003 Deville sedan. They offer conventional shocks and struts that are to be used with conversion kits that will avoid the OBD codes and such, probably by plugging the wiring harness into a resistor.

Checking the Rock Auto web site, I see electronic shocks for the DTS (which will have the FE3 suspension option) and standard shocks for the DHS (which has the FE1 "Soft Ride" suspension option). I would expect that the DTS model has always had the electronic shocks because the FE3 suspension is probably part of the DTS package, and the FE3 suspension always has the electronic shocks.

To answer the original post, it sounds like your shocks were replaced with non-OEM parts without a conversion kit, and your brake pads were replaced with non-OEM parts that do not have a wear sensor. This kind of repair will keep your car running but will downgrade its performance, driveability, and safety.

Why did you replace the ABS module?

Archived