CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2002 seville sls wont read key

2002 seville sls will not start right away. The car will turn on but i have to wait for the airbag light then the seatbelt light then the service engine light to come on. Once all three comes on then the airbag and seatbelt lights turn off and the service engine light stays on and after I hear it beep. Then and only then does my car crank. Sometimes it cranks after the first try or it will crank after the 50th attempt. Taken to get fixed twice. First time was told it was a computer problem and got that fixed. It worked for about two months. Next time took to a cadillac dealership and was told the problem got fixed their but two days afterwards the problem persisted. Still dont know actual problem. This so called cadillac dealership never told me they pinpointed the actual problem. Help please. Love cadillacs car in great condition otherwise do not want to get rid of.

The first thing to do is to run the OBD codes and post them here. See the link in my signature block for instructions on how to run the OBD codes.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

If you have other car keys on your key ring remove them. Sometimes the theft deterrent will read the other keys and not let car start .

Archived