CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Process of Elimination"Struts"

Hello and good day,

I've been having this pop corn or loose type noise coming from my front 05 deville for a few months now and I think I have pin pointed to the struts. I replaced the tie rod ends, bar links, control arm L/R, driver side CV Axle because of leaking grease. I forgot to mention the new rack installed along with the front and rear motor mounts.The vehicle had an alignment 2 weeks ago, but the only thing that has changed is the date. The only thing left within the system is the struts. I've been hearing a funny noise that sounds if it's coming from the drivers side front but also the left as sound travels. I don't hear this sound all the time but enough, that indicate something is wrong. My last level on my end is the front struts, which has never been changed. I thought I would hear a strut as I back out of my driveway because at the end is a small drop (1 inch). Any input would help, but I tend to think struts. Any advice?

Check the condition of the sway bar bushings. Over time, the rubber will take a compression set and allow the sway bar to move up/down within the bushing.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Never thought about the bushings on the frame and that could be it. I've been battling this problem since Oct 14 and it's time to get it right. I'll keep you updated on the out come.

Thanks

Check the condition of the sway bar bushings. Over time, the rubber will take a compression set and allow the sway bar to move up/down within the bushing.

I took your advice and replaced both sway bar bushings and the original problem is still there. I removed the cap from both sides of the top of the strut and noticed the following. 1. The rubber underside of the bolt seems broken and torn in spots. 2. When the wheel is turned, the bolt moves up, down and side but doesn't turn with the wheel. I'm not sure if it's suppose to move at all, just getting frustrated and concerned from this ignoring sound. I even thought about the steering shaft but the steering is turning fine with no issues or concerns. I can go over a speed bump and no sound but I hear it when driving below 30 mph when going straight with imperfections in the road. The only thing that's not new in my front end are my struts and strut bearings. Any advice?.

I took your advice and replaced both sway bar bushings and the original problem is still there. I removed the cap from both sides of the top of the strut and noticed the following. 1. The rubber underside of the bolt seems broken and torn in spots. 2. When the wheel is turned, the bolt moves up, down and side but doesn't turn with the wheel. I'm not sure if it's suppose to move at all, just getting frustrated and concerned from this ignoring sound. I even thought about the steering shaft but the steering is turning fine with no issues or concerns. I can go over a speed bump and no sound but I hear it when driving below 30 mph when going straight with imperfections in the road. The only thing that's not new in my front end are my struts and strut bearings. Any advice?.

I said to check the sway bar bushings, not to just replace them.

If the strut mount rubber is cracked, the mounts should be replaced.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I said to check the sway bar bushings, not to just replace them.

If the strut mount rubber is cracked, the mounts should be replaced.

They looked fine to be but a bit worn in one spot. If everything else was new in my front end, why not. I know if it's not broke don't fix it but I've read that sometimes new parts will stress out old parts, so with that in mind, the process continues. Now the number one question remains. 153000 miles and probably original struts do I just replace the the bearings / bushings on top or go all the way?

Replace the strut bearing-bushings and the noise will go away..

Replaced struts on both sides as well as new bushings that were attached. Torqued down to specs, and yes the noise is still there. It's not as strong but still persist. I did notice that my new tie rod ends on both sides had grease coming out of the boot as if the boot was tore. Maybe the hole that the tie rod end mounts into could be bored out and letting the tie rod end move but only driving?Remember only at low speeds under 35, just a thought but I got to find this problem. New control arms L/R, front and rear motor mount, sway bar link and bushings, rack & pinion, cv axle L/S, hub L/S, Balance and a four wheel alignment. If it was the steering shaft I would have problems when turning but that feels fine too. (Stuck at this point)

Archived