CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Oh oh....problem with Rock Auto

Logan

Hmmm.....ordered 2 Delphi O2 sensors on RockAuto.

Advertised as 'open box' Delphi sensors. 30 day warranty. Great price.

Finally getting around to using them today....they are Bosch. Today is day 35.

Baggy clearly marked as Delphi. See picture.

Sent Rock a email....we'll see what they want to do.

post-2-0-40931000-1426527082_thumb.jpg

And another pic showing the laser etching on 2 sensors....a real Delphi close....one of the RockAuto 'delphi' ones in the back....still in the sealed baggy....you should be able to see the Bosch logo and Bosch part number.

Waiting to hear back from RockAuto...

post-2-0-35897000-1426527407_thumb.jpg

And just heard back from Rock Auto.....

A: Manufacturers often make parts to be sold by others (Kenmore appliances, store-brand cereals, etc.). "Private Label Pkg" means the part may be in a plain white box, a distributor's box, or (for closeout parts) a box from a competing store. The features should be the same but the warranty (and the quality) may be different than for parts the manufacturer sells under its own brand.

Because you ordered the private label package, the product you received may or may not say "Delphi" on the box. At this point, it's too late to return the wholesale closeout part for a refund but there should be no reason why the Bosch sensor won't function in your Saturn. If you prefer the Delphi brand, you may place a new order and select the Delphi regular inventory option to ensure you'll receive a sensor in the Delphi box.

Thank you,

xxxx
RockAuto Customer Service

More too come..

And the picture used for the same item description above.....clearly Delphi.

I bet Delphi would be interested to hear they are advertising Delphi sensors.....but shipping Bosch.

From the Rockauto web site...I think I had every reasonable expectation that I would be getting Delphi sensors. Not white box Bosch...or Wang Chung sensors...

post-2-0-22572400-1426533477_thumb.jpg

When I saw the e-mail notice for this thread, I came to leave a message that Delphi is a buyer and reseller, and does not manufacture all of its parts, and the package that you have is probably OK. Rock Auto told you the same thing. If you still have doubts, find the part on the Delphi web site or call Delphi and ask them about it.

Note that there are a *lot* of Bosch parts in Cadillacs, to wit most EBTCM or equivalent modules, brake manifolds, and lots of ABS/ESC and emissions sensors, apparently including some oxygen sensors.

As a second source of things like oxygen sensors, Bosch is a class act.

I would use the part and not look back.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The Saturn V6 has a goofy catalyst system. Bosch O2 sensors will trigger a false SES lamp for the catalyst warm up system. The only ones that work correctly are the OEM Delphi ones.

If you look at the picture in post #2. You will notice there is a difference between a Bosch and a Delphi sensor.

On the Rock Auto site...the sensors are advertised as Delphi...the picture used is a Delphi. Everything about the ad said they were Delphi. I was expecting Delphi. If I suspected they were Bosch...I would of have gone elsewhere.

White box...open box...whatever. They could be from a pallet of a 1000 from a car plant. That is ok with me...as long as they are Delphi. What I don't expect is Bosch ones to show up...with a Delphi sticker on the bag. Nothing Delphi about that at all. It's a bait and switch. Rock Auto says...oh well.

It's like buying tires....you order 4 Michelins....come home from vacation and find 4 Goodyears. Yes, they are both round, black, and hold air. But that is where the similarities end.

I am very interested in your future results Logan. As for the comment about using them and not looking back, I have heard and personally run into a bosch o2 sensor not being ok on a grand prix, though there are many bosch parts in this world that are great.

Your analogy with the tires fits perfectly. I am not sure about the expected results from your order. I believe I would feel the same as you, though I am not sure what that "wholesaler private pkg" statement means. I believe Cadillac Jim would feel the same way if he were to have ordered the ac spark plugs for his previous eldorado and got champion?

OK, I misunderstood. RA probably does not understand that Delphi makes the O2 sensors and that Bosch O2 sensors don't work with your car's software.

This leaves a bit of a decision. Do you call RA back with unopened parts, or do you try the parts first and if they don't work, then call RA back?

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

First off....it's not alot of money. $58 or so for 2 sensors. Maybe I should be happy they are Bosch and not some chinese brand O2 sensors that "there should be no reason why.... they won't function in your Saturn..." as Rock Auto put it.

As for their blanket statement....

"Manufacturers often make parts to be sold by others." This is true....sometimes. Example being when I worked for the General we were making some internal engine parts for Toyota. That said...I challenge Rock Auto to prove that Bosch makes Delphi O2 sensors.

"The features should be the same but the warranty (and the quality) may be different than for parts the manufacturer sells under its own brand" Some of this is also true. As is the statement that the quality may be different. Key words here are should and quality.

Strange to say...but eBay policies are a good example here. If you advertised Delphi sensors on eBay and send me Bosch.....it would be a open-and-shut case under the eBay buyer protection program. Refund issued...no question. The Rock Auto blanket statement would never hold water.

Getting no where with Rock Auto by email. We did file a complaint with the BBB in their neck of the woods (Wisconsin). We'll see what becomes of it.

I think that the one you should contact about whether Bosch is the OEM for some Delphi oxygen sensors is Delphi. Rock Auto will simply have to ask Delphi anyway.

I think Delphi is now on the case. I got this from Delphi today requesting more information.

"...I received an email from my corporate office that someone is substituting Delphi sensors with Bosch...."

Umm....that doesn't sound like a working partnership to me. Delphi seemed very interested in what was going on.

The Rock Auto 'wholesaler private packaging' seems to include more then just a open box or baggie....it seems to include the actual part too. So advertise it as Delphi...ship whatever.

Archived