CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1999 Cadlillac Deville MIL on but no code.

Today I was going to bring my Deville in for its emissions test but last night the MIL light came on. I tried to get the codes from the car itself but it only gave me the history of error codes, nothing current. I also used my scanner on it and it said that there is no codes and on top of that, when I checked the MIL status, the scanner said it was off, yet it was lit up on the dash.

Do I risk bringing it in for the emissions test and explain to them the situation hoping that they'd overlook the MIL light?

Why would it go on without an error code?

they wont likely overlook the light.

You may have a p1000 which means the monitors are not complete, if it is it should go out on its own. This code occurs when you disconnect the battery or clear the codes. May not show up on the onboard system.

I would wait on the emissions test til the light goes out.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Record the history. Hopefully one of the codes is not your o2 heater circuit - when you might get the CEL if you start the car on a cold day, and you will have to replace the sensor, or somehow not start on cold nights or mornings before the sun is out.

IMO, You might be better off clearing the codes and turning off the CEL, then using the car for a week or two driving a few 55 mph to get all the shifts registered. hopefully the light does not come on again.

What you are seeing is completely normal. You had a temporary failure that resolved itself. You need several cold-hot ignition cycles, and if this, or any other failures are not seen, the light will go out.

Makes sense. I work nights and the past few weeks have been very cold when I finish my shift and start the car. At least in one occasion I needed a jumpstart becasue it was too cold for my battery. At that time the CEL light went on and the dash said to check airbags. But the next time I started the car those went away. But when the CEL went on last night, it wasn't that particularly cold. I'll try to clear the code tomorrow and do a bit of driving.

This is not related to the original question but if you needed to jump the car to get it to start, your battery could be bad which will destroy the alternator. Have the battery load-tested and replace it if it is bad.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

New batteries can fail - I had one fail that was just over two years old. Wind chill has absolutely NOTHING to do with a battery. Wind chill is the preceived decrease in temperature on the human body due to the wind.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

So the light does go out. Sorry I was mistaken.

I thought the light was staying on with no codes

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived