CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

ICM with Coils

taiorlvb

Hello Caddy Friends:

I recently purchased a new ICM (for my 94SLS), with the coil packs, and noticed that the numbers on the new coil packs do not correspond with my old one. Will this create a problem, if I connect the corresponding number on the spark plug wire, to the corresponding number on the new coil pack. I've lised the numbers below on the old coil packs, and the new coil packs.

My old coil packs read:

2 8 4 6

5 3 1 7

The spark plug wires are in this order:

5 2 3 8 1 4 7 6

The new coil packs read:

5 3 1 7

8 2 6 4

How do I connect my spark plug wires? I'm a little confused on how this module reads each coil pack with each corresponding number. Could someone please help me with this, and list the correct order I will need to connect each wire to, on the new coil packs?

Thank you in advance for your assistance. I appreciate it very much, and happy holidays!

Vincent

I would remark the new coils with the proper cylinder number with a paint pen. That way, if you ever remove the wires in the future, you will be able to reinstall them in the proper position.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

What made you come to the conclusion that the coil packs were bad? I am curious because I have a miss or chuggle on light acceleration that I can not figure out and I have been leaning toward the coil packs.

Paul,

That is the exact same symptom I had after having my fuel rail changed. It turned out to be plug wires in my case. If your wires are original and have been moved recently, you might want to check them out first.

I eliminated the coils on mine by replacing them one by one with one I took off my wifes Bonneville.

Paul,

Larry has the right idea. If you suspect problems, my experience tells me the plugs and wires should be checked first. I have never had a coil fail, but I have diagnosed suspected coil problems by switching with known, good coils from another car. I recently replaced an ICM on a 3.8 liter engine, but that was for a "no start" condition. I doubt the ICM would cause the symptoms you are describing.

Phillip

Went through the same thing a little while ago and I bought a new "reclaimed" ICM which might be why the numbers were not correctly identified on the coil packs. Anyhow I plugged the wires in as per the original and relabled the packs and everything is top shape.

Check out these past messages from archives...

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=2536&hl=

Archived