CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

SUSPENSION...

voicepro

There's an inch-and-a-half-thick Owners' Manual that came with my 98 DeVille d'Elegance...and here are three words that DO NOT APPEAR

anywhere in that book: suspension, shocks, struts. It doesn't even tell me whether I have electronic shocks or not. I know the ride isn't what

it ought to be -- probably still running OE stuff, since this car was bought from a prior owner -- but I need to know what I'm dealing with. So

please tell me what suspension this car has. Thanks very much.

The shop manual for 1997 was two volumes about that size, with a separate transmission overhaul manual (there is a short transmission service section in Volume 1). You are probably missing one volume. But there are plenty of people here that can answer the occasional question.

The D'Elegance is a VIN "Y" car. It does not have RSS (the electronic suspension) but it does have the load leveling rear shocks. I believe that it has the FE1 suspension but you should check the options sticker on the inside of the spare tire cover to be sure.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

If you want the real deal as far as shop manuals, here they are:

1998 Cadillac DeVille Concours Eldorado service shop dealer repair manual

The above is just one example of the manuals being sold on ebay.

Here is a list of the same manuals being sold on ebay

You will notice that there are aftermarket Haynes and Chilton manuals mixed in on the ebay search results list. There are 3 volumes to GM's factory service manual for your 98 DeVille.

Archived