CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rebuilding my Northstar

I experienced the Northstar curse and am now rebuilding the motor I pulled out of my STS. I cannot simply replace the head bolts as they have already been "repaired" once and have pulled out again. I understand there is a stud set designed to solve this problem. Any recommendations? Where can I find this stud set?

I assume by "Northstar curse" you are referring to headgaskets?

Timesert makes a kit for a second repair called a Bigsert. It is usually used to fix an engine that some cretin has attempted the repair with Heilicoils. The Bigsert kit comes with two head alignment dowles but you will need an additional two.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Kevin,

Yes, Number 1 cylinder bolts pulled out of the block. I have found stud sets but, don't want to buy a guide tool which I will use only once. Northstar Performance wants $335 for the stud set and $549 for the set plus guide. Anybody have one for sale or rent?

Dave

Carrols Custom Cadillacs out of Dallas, Tx. area sells just the stud kit for around $350.00 and he claims you don't need the guide plate. He is a supporting vendor here and has several videos on how to install his studs on his website. I have the same problem with my 01 Deville and next week I'm going to pull the engine and tear it down to take a look at everything. I was planning on using Jakes stud kit with the guide plate only because I'm close to him and I also have an 03 Deville that I suspect will eventually need the same fix. Plus I do alot of work out of my shop on the side and plan to semi-retire next summer and thought if the HG repair and case half re-sealing went well on the 01 Deville I just may decide to get into fixing these engines. So the guide plate will get used frequently I hope. There seems to be alot of Caddys for sale with the HG issue.

You need to verify the stud kit can be used as a second repair. The only repair method I know of for a second repair is the Bigsert from Time Fastener Co. I have a Bigsert kit that I may be willing to sell - I do not want to rent it as I do not desire to be in the tool rental business.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 2 weeks later...

Probably a little late - but Carroll Custom Cadillac has exactly what you need. No guide plate is needed - just a little skil and patience. Watch his videos on the stud replacement, he really knows what he is talking about. Knowing the reason these head bolts fail makes it foolish to re-install any type of head bolt into the northstar engine. These engines need studs not bolts...Simply put, studs use more of the block for clamping force -- this is why ALL high performance engines use studs. Hope this helps.

http://www.carrollcustomcadillac.com/Pages/default.aspx

Use only Carroll's studs. I don't agree with how Jake's studs are set right at the blocks deck surface. CCC stud's are seated deep in the belly of the engine block. Follow CCC video and take your time. I free hand for NS300L inserts and its a breeze once you do a handful of them. The guide plate for Jake's stud kit is really not needed if for some reason you choose his stud.

Archived