CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cup holders....

Yes - you can.

I don't know what is supposed to hold it closed, but there is a spring inside you can take out so that it will stay closed. Without the spring, you can still pull it out manually and use as normal.

The armrest cover on mine is really flimsy and partly broken under the leather. Does anyone know if replacement parts are available for these that don't cost a fortune??

As far as I know, the parts do cost a fortune. I had my 95 broken into last winter and the people destroyed my arm rest. The body shop was able to replace the cup holder part and the top part but the bottom was no longer available and that was part of what held it closed. So, I am stuck with a cup holder that is permenently ejected.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

When I bought my car my cup holder wouldn't close either so I took it apart and there was some type of lock mechanism that fell out. So I just put it back in place put it back together and It opens and closes fine now.

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

Yes - you can.

I don't know what is supposed to hold it closed, but there is a spring inside you can take out so that it will stay closed. Without the spring, you can still pull it out manually and use as normal.

The armrest cover on mine is really flimsy and partly broken under the leather. Does anyone know if replacement parts are available for these that don't cost a fortune??

How do you get the spring off? I've had the armrest apart but cant see how to remove the spring

I also asked the dealer if you cuold get replacement parts, but he says no, you have to buy the whole assembly, $130 <_<

-Chris

If you can get it apart, and if you locate broken off peices, you might be able to glue them back together. There are many ways that you glueing the peices together, but it's impossible to explain the different options unless I saw the broken peices.

If you have the broken peices, take pictures of them; then, post them. If it isn't an issue of cosmetics--you know, something that's hidden--I can devise ways in which to glue/bond/epoxy about 99.9% of all broken plastic parts. The thing is that I have to see the broken part in order to offer suggestions.

Despite the fact that I don't know what the parts look like, I can tell you that based on professional experance, lots of the plastic on cars breaks, even if you just look at it, the reason why I learned ways in which to repair broken plastic, where the brake doesn't relate with the cosmetic appearence. Even if it is a cosmetic area, because the plastic is black, you can sand/blend the repair area, paint it black, and it may not be noticable. When it's yours and it's out of your pocket, such repairs may be okay.

The thing is that when you f/u customers' stuff, you cannot do visual repairs. I understand! If you took your car to the shop and they broke something, and if you looked cloesly, you could see that it was pukeyed together, would you be happy with the repair?

As far as I know, the parts do cost a fortune. I had my 95 broken into last winter and the people destroyed my arm rest. The body shop was able to replace the cup holder part and the top part but the bottom was no longer available and that was part of what held it closed. So, I am stuck with a cup holder that is permenently ejected.

If you pop the plastic rod off the groove that holds it in the back you can remove the spring. You can then open and close it manually. I did that with mine until I located a new pressure latch.

FWIW

YMMV

DFB

Archived