CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Good Evening Everyone!

My wife 2004 Deville would not accept the ignition key this morning. She was under pressure to get the grandkids to school, so I took them in the Seville. When I returned I noticed a piece of metal, square pin (?), blocking the cylinder. I was able to use the key to gently push down the pin, and insert the key. What would be my best choice moving forward? I plan to but some powdered graphite and lube it with that. I am concerned trying to use electrical contact cleaner, as it may 'dry out' the cylinder, making it worse in the future. Please advise any hints before I go I the wrong direction!

Thanks,

Ohio Jim

If something id worn out or broken in the ignition cylinder that lets a tumbler project into the keyhole, you will likely need a new ignition cylinder. That's a job for a locksmith, particularly if you want to keep the same key, which may also work in the doors, trunk, back seat trunk access door, glove compartment, or center console door lock.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Cadillac Jim,

Uh OH! I am sad to here that. I figured the part was in normal position, but just stuck. I will need to get on this because I have to have this car every day. Thank you very much for the status.

Ohio Jim

Cadillac Jim,

Today I received the ignition recall for the 2004 Deville. Do you know if that would cover or help cover the ignition issue I started having?

Thanks,

Ohio Jim

The recall just affects the key and it's elongated hole.........

Don't let your first ride be your last ride in a Cadillac!

You never know until you ask. When you go, give them the complaint and see what the service manager says.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Cadillac Jim,

Today I received the ignition recall for the 2004 Deville. Do you know if that would cover or help cover the ignition issue I started having?

Thanks,

Ohio Jim

All they're going to do with the recal is put an insert in the key to reduce the slot length to 1/4".....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Ask them for an estimate on fixing the key-won't-go-in problem. An experienced tech can do it better and faster than a locksmith who doesn't know your car's steering column as well.

Cadillac Jim,

Is this something which might be a successful fix to a lay person? I assume the steering column must be disassembled? Is it likely to be able remove the cylinder and have it serviced in a money saving move?

Thanks,

Ohio Jim

You can do it yourself if you are handy with things like dis assembly of the steering column. Of course, if this were simple, then Cadillacs would be easy to steal.

Remember, when you are done, the original key must work in the new cylinder. Re-keying the cylinder is a locksmith job. The dealer *may* be able to order you a replacement cylinder, given the VIN and/or the old key.

Archived