CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1990 Deville wont let me in!

On the drivers side the door is locked.

The key does nothing and the latch is like when the door is locked, there is no resistance and it does nothing.

The other doors work as they should but it is very irritating and un Cadillac like to have to scramble in from the passenger side.

I cant figure out how to get at the mechanism with the door closed - is there a hook or something I could slide into the open window space to release the lock or something....

Thank you

Repooc.

One of the small parts in the door latch assembly is bent, broken, missing, or worn out. You will need to take the door panel off and find it and replace it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I would ask the police if they will unlock your car. Likely they wont but if you happen to know one personally maybe you could talk someone into it. If not a lock smith should be able to unlock it, and hopefully the latch still works. I don't think you can get the panels off with the door shut, which you seem to have decided also.

I was assuming that you could open the door from the inside. Airmike's suggestion is good, but if your local police Serve and Protect but do not help you with your recalcitrant door, then any decent body shop or locksmith should be able to help you. They can probably also fix the latch/lock and button it up, but I've found that no one puts door panels back on as firmly and correctly as the owner of the car.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Thanks Air Mike and Cadillac Jim - valuable advice here. I spoke to the police today whilst visiting a car enthusiast event and they do not serve or assist in that manner unfortunately. I should perhaps have mentioned that I live in Sweden and things work a bit different here. There were quite few Cadillac owners at this meeting today and one of the guys with an 88 Seville had the same problem - he cut a hook into a thin flat metal bar and fished around with it outside the window glass and on about the 40th try (he said) he got lucky, then he could open the door take the panel off and fix the problem. I think I will try that before the expense of a locksmith, maybe I will get lucky too :glare: . I will do this tomorrow and post results here.

Thanks Air Mike and Cadillac Jim - valuable advice here. I spoke to the police today whilst visiting a car enthusiast event and they do not serve or assist in that manner unfortunately. I should perhaps have mentioned that I live in Sweden and things work a bit different here. There were quite few Cadillac owners at this meeting today and one of the guys with an 88 Seville had the same problem - he cut a hook into a thin flat metal bar and fished around with it outside the window glass and on about the 40th try (he said) he got lucky, then he could open the door take the panel off and fix the problem. I think I will try that before the expense of a locksmith, maybe I will get lucky too :glare: . I will do this tomorrow and post results here.

Most of them look something like this..

990701568_649_zps44f4a431.jpg

Posted Image

Any good car thief will have one of these in his back pocket. They call them a "slim jim." Most body shops have a couple handy, too, and it's the first thing that even a locksmith will try.

Yeah I know, and in the old days I have myself even used a bent coat hanger on occasion when leaving keys inside, but I am presuming a more sophisticated system on even a relevatively old Cadillac. I know that any attempt like that on a similarly aged Volvo is a definite no no and will disable all sorts of functions. But I have to do something, I just hope I don't trigger other defence, disable and location systems. There are no Cadillac dealers here I can get advice from so I am sort of on my own with this.....

This is a lovely car, I did about 480 km round trip today visiting a local meet: http://www.vallakratraffen.com/ and it was a delight to drive, drove itself almost. There are lots of niggly bits though - mostly about the computer stuff but I don't have a manual so most is probably down to ignorance, stuff like a full tank shows 14 litres and a consumption of 3 litres per 100 kms - that would be nice!

I have had Cadillacs before (12 at one time) but mostly fifties and sixties, my all time favourite was/are the full size Eldorados, the sculptured sixty nine and then on to to seventy fiveish, one of each would do me fine;-)

This 90 Deville though is just fine, I am 72 now and I like that it is easy to handle, I like the acceleration on offer, I love the V8 sound (hole in the system I suspect), I like that it is quite cheap to run, petrol costs fifteen kroner a litre here now but this car is as cheap to run as my other vehicles (except my fry oil Range Rover of course).

Well, the dark days are drawing in here up north so I will probably barn the Deville for the duration soon now, it would be nice to do stuff with the aid of a proper workshop manual during our intolerable winters but where on earth can I get one - if it even exists.

Fantastic response by the way - much obliged.

Hej "Repooc"!

Vet inte hur mycket som stämmer men har en 4,5 Seville -90 och verkstadsmanual till den. Felkoderna är nog lika och mycket av det mekaniska. Om det är något du behöver veta så hojta till. Köpte min bok på Ebay för ett par hundralappar och det är snabbt intjänat......

Var bor du?

Göran

Yeah I know, and in the old days I have myself even used a bent coat hanger on occasion when leaving keys inside, but I am presuming a more sophisticated system on even a relevatively old Cadillac. I know that any attempt like that on a similarly aged Volvo is a definite no no and will disable all sorts of functions. But I have to do something, I just hope I don't trigger other defence, disable and location systems. There are no Cadillac dealers here I can get advice from so I am sort of on my own with this.....

This is a lovely car, I did about 480 km round trip today visiting a local meet: http://www.vallakratraffen.com/ and it was a delight to drive, drove itself almost. There are lots of niggly bits though - mostly about the computer stuff but I don't have a manual so most is probably down to ignorance, stuff like a full tank shows 14 litres and a consumption of 3 litres per 100 kms - that would be nice!

I have had Cadillacs before (12 at one time) but mostly fifties and sixties, my all time favourite was/are the full size Eldorados, the sculptured sixty nine and then on to to seventy fiveish, one of each would do me fine;-)

This 90 Deville though is just fine, I am 72 now and I like that it is easy to handle, I like the acceleration on offer, I love the V8 sound (hole in the system I suspect), I like that it is quite cheap to run, petrol costs fifteen kroner a litre here now but this car is as cheap to run as my other vehicles (except my fry oil Range Rover of course).

Well, the dark days are drawing in here up north so I will probably barn the Deville for the duration soon now, it would be nice to do stuff with the aid of a proper workshop manual during our intolerable winters but where on earth can I get one - if it even exists.

Fantastic response by the way - much obliged.

You can get the service manuals on ebay... fairly cheap.

Posted Image

I would be sure to leave the passenger side window down, in case you were to fail to get in, and somehow get the lock activated. Wouldn't want to be locked out and no way to get in. I know some only have a key hole in the drivers door.

Hej "Repooc"!

Vet inte hur mycket som stämmer men har en 4,5 Seville -90 och verkstadsmanual till den. Felkoderna är nog lika och mycket av det mekaniska. Om det är något du behöver veta så hojta till. Köpte min bok på Ebay för ett par hundralappar och det är snabbt intjänat......

Var bor du?

Göran

Vad Fan Göran, trodde att jag var ensam med detta. Bor på Österlen. Jag tror att detta är en mekanisk fel- men om du har en riktig verkstads manual så är jag jätte intresserad av en kopia/faximile i alla fall - behöver veta mer dock innan surt förvärvade penga lämmna lomman, men jag tror att mycket bör vara samma Seville/Deville. Men Verkstads manual är inte samma sak som "users Manual" Stålar är ingen problem men vill inte köpa dubletter förstå du......kom igen.

I would be sure to leave the passenger side window down, in case you were to fail to get in, and somehow get the lock activated. Wouldn't want to be locked out and no way to get in. I know some only have a key hole in the drivers door.

No the passenger side door works fine,. Well I always make sure I take my keys with me as soon as I exit my car for any reason, you know, at the petrol station, the pee stops, whatever - there are opportunists all over, I have never had a problem but you read about stuff like that

all the time.

Actually your idea is really good but the passenger door key/lock works fine with the key and from there I can reach in and work the rear doors...... nothing however influences my driver side door . grrrrrrrrr!

It is a bit of a downer having to slide in from the passenger side. I will try the flat iron thingy and failing that it will be the barn for the winter and perhaps a new try when we emerge from hibernation up here in the north.

Yup - de verka överalt men inte på min dörr - dvs det klicka och ha sig överallt, ingen fobb på nyckeln men alla invändiga knappar klickar och

låtar och fungera utan på min dörr - suck!

Tack för att du angarerar dig.

Det måste vara en mekanisk fel tror jag - bjummer.

Sidorna är scannade och finns klara för mail. När jag kollar i manualen så funderar jag på om det verkligen är låsmekanismen som jäklas - kanske är det så att själva öppningsdelen inte funkar?

To all of you! Sorry for using Swedish! If You want to read - use the translation. ;)

Unforeseen developments mean that I have to put off any attempts at solving my door problems. But now Göran has sent me copies of the door components from his manual and I also have the design for the slim Jim so I am quite confident I will be able to solve this. It will though take a while before I can report back.

Please bear with me.

Archived