CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

93 sts with misfire/stalling/hard start issues

Hello everyone.

I have had this car since it was 3 years old or so. I drove it for the first 150k miles or so then I yanked the engine to do head/oilpan gaskets with norms inserts. I think I mostly did it for the challenge because once I was done I gave the car to my needy sister who now has her ran up to 205k miles. Anyway she has been complaining that the car has gotten very difficult to start sometimes but other times it starts immediately. I'm sure some of you guys have given a car away before to a relative, but not many of you probably give "lifetime warranty" like I do...funny how that works out isn't it? Also it stalls at high speeds sometimes. It seems to me that the idle speed motor is functioning correctly ( I replaced it once under my use of the car.).

Just from hearing it run, it seems to misfire some on startup and almost sounds like a backfire sometime as it cranks.

I think it has ignition control issues ie. crank sensors or ignition control module issues, but I default to the wiser people who can be found here. I did NOT do crank sensors while the engine was out......Anyway here is a list of the codes I pulled. I'm sure most are old and unrelated but all show "History" after the code:

P012

P013

P017

P023

P030

P052

P053

P070

P083

P091

P095

P0109

It was a real joy to hear my old Caddy run even if not correctly. I have on hand a used ignition module with all the coil packs that I yanked from a boneyard years ago. I may as well start there I believe. I also have a pretty new looking EGR but that's not it I'm sure.

P012 (E012) No Distributor Signal
P013 (E013) Right Oxygen Sensor Not Ready
P017 (E017) Left Oxygen Sensor not ready
P023 (E023) Electronic Spark Timing (EST) Signal problem [EGR]
P030 (E030) ISC RPM out of range
P052 (E052) PCM Memory Reset
P053 (E053) Distributor Signal Interrupt
P070 (E070) Intermittent TPS Signal
P083 (E083) Crankshaft to Ignition Module Failure
P091 (E091) PRNDL Switch Problem (transaxle range switch problem)
P095 (E095) Engine Stall Detected
P109 (E109) Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Reset/PCM has lost primary battery power

If all the codes are HISTORY codes, you can reset the codes and see what comes back. P052 and P109 tell us that the battery was disconnected recently, so somebody may have done that, you just don't know how long ago because it can take three or four months for a HISTORY code to go away.

The P012, P023, P053, and P083 all point to the crank sensors, the cam sensor, or the ignition module.

Whoooa, P012 means that you have a 4.9, not a Northstar, although the 1993 STS should have the Northstar. Look at the wiring under the module in the distributor. If you *do* have the Northstar, look at the wiring to the ignition module and to the cam and crank sensors.

Also, it looks like the heated oxygen sensors might need a fuse.

The P070 and P091 codes also can be wiring problems.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks Jim, I as soon as I get a chance I intend to get this fixed. I am 100% sure this is a northstar engine. I will report back when I try something. Does anyone know how hard the crank and cam sensors are to get at? I'm sure I saw them but I don't recall where. Does this one have 2 crank sensors?

Thanks guys!

Two crankshaft sensors - you can see them above the oil filter adapter plate. I believe they're the same but the wiring is different color for the upper and lower sensor. There is one cam sensor - mounted in the rear head/chaincase area on the passenger side of the car.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The cam sensor is on the end of the cam cover on the rear head on the front (right side).

The sensors rarely went bad on the 1993-1999 model years, so check the connectors and wiring before you replace any sensors. Someone with a 1993-199 FSM should look at the codes in their FSM to make sure that we are looking at the right places in the wiring.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived