CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Question About Cooled Seats in 2011 DTS

Texas Jim

Anyone have a 2011 with AC seats?
Does the BACK of the seat also cool or just the bottom...
I think my dealer lied to me...
He says the seats in the newer DTS's are not like the ones in the 2006 to 2008 DTS.
The older cars had seats that cooled on the bottom AND cooled on the back.
Mine only cools on the bottom.
They claim that is normal.
I don't think it is...

Posted Image

I have cooled seats but my seats are Recaro, not GM (I suspect that GM buys the seats from multiple vendors to specification). Mine cool the lower back area but not the whole back.

According to the 2011 FSM, the seat backs are heated and cooled. The seat cushion and seat back each have their own thermo-electric device, temperature sensor, and blower motor. I believe that this is also true of the rear seats.

Check the rear fuse block for two fuses: 30 Amp HTD/COOL and 20 Amp HTD/COOL/IGN3. Since both fuses must be good for the seat cushion to cool, I suspect that they are good. But there is a telling paragraph right at the beginning:

When the heated/cool seat switch is pressed to initiate operation of the climate control seat (CCS) system, cabin air is drawn through the heated/cool ventilation module air filter, then directed through passages in the foam of the seat cushion and seat back to the seat's occupant. In order for the CCS system to operate to its optimum performance, it is crucial to have unrestricted air flow through the system. A dirty or restricted air filter, the blockage of an exhaust air duct, a misaligned heated/cool ventilation module, or incorrect foam installation of the seat cushion or seat back will all have negative effects on CCS operation.

Note the last sentence, which I put in italics.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I have cooled seats but my seats are Recaro, not GM (I suspect that GM buys the seats from multiple vendors to specification). Mine cool the lower back area but not the whole back.

According to the 2011 FSM, the seat backs are heated and cooled. The seat cushion and seat back each have their own thermo-electric device, temperature sensor, and blower motor. I believe that this is also true of the rear seats.

Check the rear fuse block for two fuses: 30 Amp HTD/COOL and 20 Amp HTD/COOL/IGN3. Since both fuses must be good for the seat cushion to cool, I suspect that they are good. But there is a telling paragraph right at the beginning:

When the heated/cool seat switch is pressed to initiate operation of the climate control seat (CCS) system, cabin air is drawn through the heated/cool ventilation module air filter, then directed through passages in the foam of the seat cushion and seat back to the seat's occupant. In order for the CCS system to operate to its optimum performance, it is crucial to have unrestricted air flow through the system. A dirty or restricted air filter, the blockage of an exhaust air duct, a misaligned heated/cool ventilation module, or incorrect foam installation of the seat cushion or seat back will all have negative effects on CCS operation.

Thank you very much for that information.

I will double check the fuses, but I assume they are good because the BOTTOM PART of the seat, where your BOTTOM sits, cools a little...(but not like my 2006 did)

The back of the seat does not cool at all...

The dealer is telling me that it is not supposed to.

Posted Image

My car does not have.... 30 Amp HTD/COOL and 20 Amp HTD/COOL/IGN3.

It does have two fuses related to the heated/Cooled seats...

FRONT HEATED/COOLED SEAT MODULE and RUN 2 - HEATED/COOLED SEATS.

Position 9 and 10 in the rear fuse block.

Both fuses are good.

Posted Image

The model on the DVD was DTS. I assume that Platinum Edition is included as a trim level. But, the FSM is tied off before the model year ends. Changes happen. But I'll look again.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Do you want me to check my 2008? Pretty sure they cool the lower back too. Why does GM always sneak this stuff in? It's like making a cereal box smaller and hoping nobody will notice.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Do you want me to check my 2008? Pretty sure they cool the lower back too. Why does GM always sneak this stuff in? It's like making a cereal box smaller and hoping nobody will notice.

Johnny... Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it.

I found that the seats DO cool the back of the seat and the bottom seat cushion.

It has two blowers/fans, along with ducting, that takes cabin air and passes the air over thermo electric devices and then the air comes thru the foam and out the seat back and bottom cushion.

I will be taking it back to them early next week for them to fix it RIGHT.

Posted Image

OK! So it's only the dealership that tried to deny resposibility. Good to know, but not surprising. That's NOT the way to compete with BMW/Mercedes Benz.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

OK! So it's only the dealership that tried to deny responsibility. Good to know, but not surprising. That's NOT the way to compete with BMW/Mercedes Benz.

I agree... that is not the way to compete.

I think the service writer was just repeating what the tech told him... that it was working correctly...

I can ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEE that this particular service writer now knows how they are supposed to operate.... :):)

We had a little heart to heart talk... out in the driveway away from everyone else.

Posted Image

Archived