CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1997 STS serpentine belt popping off

exactly what I was thinking.

If the o-ring was missing/damaged it would leak on the pulley side of the housing

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys, pulled the pump back out replaced again the o ring and seal. refilled the tank again and don't see any dripping this time. Will let you know how everything else goes. Thanks

excellent news. Inspect the pump o-ring itself. Likely black for tears or pinch spots.

Where was it leaking before?

On the pulley side of the crossover

or the cover housing.

If it was leaking on the pulley side(toward engine) it would be the o-ring on the waterpump

If it was leaking on the housing side (the housing with the thermostat) then it would be a casting problem or housing seal

GM FAN FOREVER

Hey Guys, thanks so much for all the advice and help, replacing the o ring and seal again seemed to do the job. Got her back together took her out for a nice little ride seems like everything is fine now. About to drain the water out and replace that with antifreeze and do an oil change. I guess now try to find out about the O2 sensor issues again. Definitely going to have the electrical checked out on it first before replacing anything. Once again thanks for the help and will be back to check in here and there. Oh by the way the auto part store wants to hire me..... thought you would get a kick out of that. Duce.

excellent. So glad we could help. I am very happy for you and your attention to what is going on.

Definately change the coolant so that you have the proper mixture.

Post the o2 sensor issues in a new thread so that we dont have conflicting threads.

Again congrats

GM FAN FOREVER

Keep in mind that you will only be able to drain less than half the water out of the cooling system. Use the exhaust from a shop vac to push as much of the water out as you can. Measure the volume of water drained and compare it to the cooling system capacity. You will then know how much coolant to add and also how much to drain out after you drive the car for a few days in order to add back in enough straight coolant to get the mix to 50/50.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived