CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Seville -90 struts and Stabilizer Bar Link

Considering to exchange all struts and front stabilizer bar links. I thought there should be air suspension in the rear but I can´t figure it out on rockauto. How can I determine which system is on my car?

There are also two totally different stabilizer bar links (old modell with rubber bushings and the new that looks like a P-joint).

Did Cadillac change system during the modell year or what?

The Touring option had a different suspension from that of the base model. I would think that the stabilizer bar links would be the same but perhaps not. The Touring suspension could be had on the base model for $155 which would just buy different springs, shocks and stabilizer bars, and a different steering ratio.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Considering to exchange all struts and front stabilizer bar links. I thought there should be air suspension in the rear but I can´t figure it out on rockauto. How can I determine which system is on my car?

There are also two totally different stabilizer bar links (old modell with rubber bushings and the new that looks like a P-joint).

Did Cadillac change system during the modell year or what?

Look for a decal in the trunk or glove compartment with all the RPO numbers on it.

Look for FE1 or FE3 or RSS

FE1 is the Soft Ride suspension.

FE3 is the Touring suspension

RSS is Road Sensing Suspension.

Posted Image

Thanks Jim and Jim!

I found struts for SSS (Speed Sensitive Suspension) and Sensa-Trac Strut. I don´t know witch is what. Maybe Sensa-Trac is RSS?

The stabilizer bar links are easy - just to get down on your knees. ;)

Thanks Jim and Jim!

I found struts for SSS (Speed Sensitive Suspension) and Sensa-Trac Strut. I don´t know witch is what. Maybe Sensa-Trac is RSS?

The stabilizer bar links are easy - just to get down on your knees. ;)

You have to know which suspension is on your car.

Is it FE1 or FE3 ????

Posted Image

Rock Auto lists that part for the front in a 1990 Eldorado for $58.79 each so it's likely the right part. The eBay listing in your link has a price of $171.56 for two, or $85.78 each, so it's likely not the right price.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Thanks Jim. I have sometimes failed when linking from Rock Auto so I went for Ebay.

My problem is that it does not state anything about FE1, FE3 or RSS and I don't know if there really is a difference.

I don't know about the 1990 models, but for 1992 and later, if you have the Touring suspension, you have the FE3 suspension, while the base models come with the FE1 suspension. However, some years off the FE3 suspension as an option on the base models. So, if you have a base model, you need to find the option sticker for your car to make sure.

If a suspension part is listed for the Touring option models, it's compatible with the FE3 suspension. If the model listing for the part does not include the Touring models, it's for cars with the FE1 suspension.

Sorry, still confused. Looking at the earlier link and this http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACDelco-Suspension-Strut-Assembly-503-352-/130886168743?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e796c70a7&vxp=mtr that is AC Delco they are listed for BASE and STS.

Does that mean that they do NOT fit FE1??????? Or is this a "pseudo question" and they all fit all? Maybe just a tiny bit stiffer? ;)

A shock or strut that will bolt on a car with FE3 suspension may not have the damping you expect for the FE3 suspension. Things that are usually different between FE1 and FE3 are shocks/struts, springs, and stabilizer bars.

I´m very much aware of that. I somehow doubt that there is only struts for STS and not for the far more common BASE!

Anyone that can confirm the original numbers for front struts -90 Seville Base FE1?

I think that there are only two struts for the 1990 Seville, for electronically controlled suspension and for non-electronically controlled suspension. The Monroe does NOT have electronically controlled suspension. The AC/Delco that Texas Jim linked to doe have electronically controlled suspension.

At this point you need to either refer to a 1990 FSM to see if your car has an electronically controlled suspension or not. If it does not, get the Monroe. If it does, get the AC/Delco. Amazingly, there is only about $10 difference i price between them.

You may be able to tell if there is a hookup for switching the damping rate on the strut if you know where the wire is.

Hmmmm....... I do have the FSM for Eldorado/Seville 1990 but I don´t seem to find anything about electronically controlled suspension! In fact I only find ONE description on struts in front and ONE description for the rear (ELC). NO mentioning of FE1, FE3 or RSS!

I also tried to find anything in the description of the referred AC-Delco strut that says it´s electronically controlled but I must be blind or very bad at English - do not find a single word about that. :blush:

Hmmmm....... I do have the FSM for Eldorado/Seville 1990 but I don´t seem to find anything about electronically controlled suspension! In fact I only find ONE description on struts in front and ONE description for the rear (ELC). NO mentioning of FE1, FE3 or RSS!

I also tried to find anything in the description of the referred AC-Delco strut that says it´s electronically controlled but I must be blind or very bad at English - do not find a single word about that. :blush:

Goran.... I agree with you.

It says nothing about Electronic Control.

I am beginning to think the 1990 model did not have Electronic Control yet... maybe that started with 1992... I don't know.

I went to a couple of parts places and do not see an electronic strut listed for the 1990 Seville.

The one on Rock Auto says this...

• Special motion-sensing valving, which helps respond to changing road conditions, provide a more comfortable ride during normal road conditions and improve handling under extreme road conditions
  • Speed-sensitive damping automatically adjusts for improved performance throughout the entire range of motion
Posted Image

Think You are right! The differences between AC-Delco and Monroe are probably just vocabulary. I guess they all respond to "strut movement speed" but it´s hard to tell if one is stiffer than the other?

I just looked at the Speed Sensitive Suspension (SSS) struts on Rock Auto and indeed I do not see any electrical connections on the struts. Apparently they are just premium struts used with the sport suspension.

Archived