CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

"Battery Not Charging" message

I have a 2002 Cadillac Deville. Yesterday the battery voltage drop to 12.3, and the message “battery not charging” came on. This happened when I switched the car off after driving home from work. The battery light did not come on with this message. I’m not getting any codes. The car cranks and will drive but is idling low, and seems to want to stall out. Battery voltage is low when idling. When I drive the voltage will go back up to the normal 14.5 or so, and will stay there until I turn it off and get ready to turn it on again. This morning the battery light came on, but went off immediately. No noises and No smells. Any suggestion would be great on cause or what to check.

First thing is to clean he battery terminals. And inspect wires to alternator.

If that doesnt fix it, get the battery checked.

If the battery checks out ok, and you still have the problem, and the battery is older than 4 years, i would get a new battery.

If the battery is bad it may be under warranty.

With the key in the run position or the engine running (it makes no difference), simultaneously press and hold the ON/OFF and INFO UP buttons on the dash to the right of the speedometer and above the gearshift lever. The system will go through a segment check and then you will see ALL? on the driver information sensor (DIC).

To operate the diagnostics, the following buttons are used:

• ON/OFF = Yes
  • INFO RESET = No
  • INFO UP/DN is the toggle to between systems
  • To exit the diagnostics, repeatedly press the INFO RESET button or turn the ignition to OFF.

Any codes will be displayed on the DIC as CURRENT or HISTORY.

Post back the codes - it is possible something in the alternator has failed.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Could be some kind of internal short in the battery, and the car is not getting the amps/volts it needs to run the pcm and spark correctly. When i had this, even the shift solenoids were feeling weak on shifts.

As I said above I have ran the codes and it is not giving me any codes.

I missed that... I'd have the battery load tested.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 1 year later...

I have a 2002 Cadillac Deville. Yesterday the battery voltage drop to 12.3, and the message “battery not charging” came on. This happened when I switched the car off after driving home from work. The battery light did not come on with this message. I’m not getting any codes. The car cranks and will drive but is idling low, and seems to want to stall out. Battery voltage is low when idling. When I drive the voltage will go back up to the normal 14.5 or so, and will stay there until I turn it off and get ready to turn it on again. This morning the battery light came on, but went off immediately. No noises and No smells. Any suggestion would be great on cause or what to check.

my 2002 cadillac did the exact samething today... how did you fix it?

With the key in the run position or the engine running (it makes no difference), simultaneously press and hold the ON/OFF and INFO UP buttons on the dash to the right of the speedometer and above the gearshift lever. The system will go through a segment check and then you will see ALL? on the driver information sensor (DIC).

To operate the diagnostics, the following buttons are used:

• ON/OFF = Yes
  • INFO RESET = No
  • INFO UP/DN is the toggle to between systems
  • To exit the diagnostics, repeatedly press the INFO RESET button or turn the ignition to OFF.

Any codes will be displayed on the DIC as CURRENT or HISTORY.

Post back the codes - it is possible something in the alternator has failed.

my 20002 deville did the samething... do you believe it is the battery?

First thing is to clean he battery terminals. And inspect wires to alternator.

If that doesnt fix it, get the battery checked.

If the battery checks out ok, and you still have the problem, and the battery is older than 4 years, i would get a new battery.

If the battery is bad it may be under warranty.

my 2002 deville did the exact samething... do you believe it is a battery issue?

Archived