CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Frequently Asked Questions about the Duke

People ask me questions about the Duke SS 100 all the time, which is natural since even non-car people recognize it doesn't look like a modern car.

Here are some of the frequent or colorful questions:

What is it?

I used to say "It's a 1939 Jaguar Replica", or a Replica of a 1939 Jaguar. Now I tend to say, its a 1985 Duke SS 100.

A company called Classic Roadsters, LTD made these in the 1980s in Fargo, ND.

What Year?

Again, I used to say "a replica of a 1939" or similar. I think now I am going with '1985'.

Yes, but what Year is it like?

Jaguar made cars that looked like this in 1936-1939. (Actually, everyone made cars that looked like this in 1939, more or less.)

Before Jaguar was Jaguar, they made a car like this named after the company at the time, SS, and the top speed, 100 mph, for SS 100.

Oh, is it like a Great Gatsby car?

Well, Gatsby was an Anglophile (loved all things English).

Actually, the Great Gatsby novel took place in 1925, and Fitzgerald probably had a bright yellow 1922 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost in mind.

d33ee2db38a59f9f4ea15f439f8dc79c.jpg

It was a rich cream color, bright with nickel, swollen here and there in its monstrous length with triumphant hat-boxes and supper-boxes and tool-boxes, and terraced with a labyrinth of wind-shields that mirrored a dozen suns. Sitting down behind many layers of glass in a sort of green leather conservatory, we started to town..”

What is it built on?

They used a custom chassis for this car. They made them in the mid-80s in Fargo, North Dakota. Response: "Oh yeah, I can tell it is a custom chassis."

Real or Replica?

Replica

What will you take for it?

My answer to this question has improved since I finally got past the rear spring issue and the Duke is running well!

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

The answer to "What will you take for it?" is "What are you offering?". Who knows, they might make a stupid high offer. OK, not likely.

What will you take for it? How about a 1949 or later Cadillac convertible in presentable, drivable condition?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived