CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Front Bearing Replacement Brand for STS

WOW - well my comment seemed to generate a wee bit of replies ! lol .

So it all must be based on tires -my 95 Seville STS - drops out at 110 - allways - or within a mph or 2 , as I am watching the road not the difference in a mph or 2 : ).

I have not had my 95 ElDorado up past 100 - it is the ETC model- so maybe someday I will see where it's cut off is.

Also have not had the nerve -lol - to try the "start off in 2 and chirp the tires when it shifts" -

I had a 68 AMX that I did all that crazy stuff with, but it's gone, and love my Caddys ! Working on building another AMC blaster, but honestly the Caddy would walk all over my AMX.

update - :hatsoff: I tried the "startt off in second chirp the tires" - weeeewhooooooooo. So as it got to allmost redline and foot about to let out of it, it shifted- and screeched like a rageing ElDorado ETC banshee .

Happy camper here - not sure how often I would do that though - at least once more to show my 20 year old son it's not all about Honda's. He actually loves the Caddy's , am thinking of doing some work together on my Seville and handing it off to him..

update - :hatsoff: I tried the "startt off in second chirp the tires" - weeeewhooooooooo. So as it got to allmost redline and foot about to let out of it, it shifted- and screeched like a rageing ElDorado ETC banshee .

Happy camper here - not sure how often I would do that though - at least once more to show my 20 year old son it's not all about Honda's. He actually loves the Caddy's , am thinking of doing some work together on my Seville and handing it off to him..

But it is fun... :):)

Posted Image

The Northstar is way below the danger zone at redline. The protection mechanisms are all in place when you do the red-line low-to-second shift at WOT with the selector is "2." It won't hurt your car. In fact, a little WOT may be good for your engine if you don't get out at highway speeds very often.

But, if the tires break completely loose, you might want to take a look at the tires. Make sure that they are 30 psi or more; I used to run my 1997 ETC tires at 32 psi for better handling. If they are below 28 psi or much over 35 psi cold, you might want to adjust the tire pressure. Or, the tires may be old and losing their grip, or they may not be a high-performance tire with a lot of grip.

Beware of sudden torque steer on the shift.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks everyone ,

The tires are Cooper CS4 touring. I have had good luck with them for quite a few years now, and run them on both my Seville STS and ElDorado ETC.

I am sure the screeching felt like a long time in my over excited mind, but was a mere second or 2 long : ).

I have experienced the " tourqe steer" , when on occasion there is this certain turn off from the main road the sweeps up and into a tight right, a pedal stomp will downshift and break the tries free and wake the nieghbors.

Good to know about the redline. I am so happy that 10 years ago I tested out my Seville after looking at a Continental , no comparison, hands down, the most comfortable and powerfull full sized car I have owned.

I just checked TheTireRack and they don't carry Cooper. So, I checked the Cooper web site and they have CS3 and CS5 tires in your size. Apparently they do not list the STS/ETC in the 1995 Cadillac listing. Browsing the CS3 Touring description, it seems that these are great tires but they are not "performance" tires in terms of grip and handling. If you like them and they work well for you, keep using them, but they will not have the grip of a high-performance tire, and a hard 1-2 shift will likely break them loose on just about any surface.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Consider the hub maybe burning out due to a hanging caliper piston. It doesn't take much to overheat the bearing causing the grease to boil out, then grind down the raw bearings. Tell tail sign is uneven break pads (left vs right) side. Or the vehicle may even go thru pads quickly.

If it's that bad, watch for poor fuel mileage. And, after a drive, check for a hot wheel.

Archived