CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Construction of the World's Smallest V12 Engine.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I can't seem to embed the video so just copy/paste the URL into your browser and enjoy. The workmanship is amazing.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Nice; thanks for sharing

How much horse power you think those 12 cylinders are producing? :D

A couple of things puzzle me. I didn't see spark plugs or plug wires, and the cam gears seemed to be 1:1 instead of 2:1. So, this may be a Diesel or a two-stroke engine.

The amount of power depends on the displacement, the RPM used, and details of the design such as cam profiles, valve and port sizes, and such. Model airplane engine technology provides a rich basis for designing an engine such as this. The video is engrossing but it doesn't give these details.

Now, I went to the YouTube posting and read the English translation of the paragraph on the video. This is a hand-made one-off engine made to run on compressed air, which explains the absence of spark plugs and the 1:1 camshaft gear ratio. It has a displacement of 12 cc from a 1.13 cm bore and 1 cm stroke. The power would be a function of the pressure and the flow rate, which would determine the RPM, and the losses in the engine due to friction and heat loss. The video shows it idling but without a load. With enough air pressure and allowing a higher RPM, it could develop over two horsepower. Clearly, the potential to use the design to build a four-stroke gasoline engine is there too.

There are similar V8 engines out there that run on gasoline and are used in scale model cars.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived