CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

low refrigerant/ ac compressor off

Sounds like one of the fittings at the orifice tube. Is it on the line that runs along the firewall?

There may be a crack in the line or the o-ring needs to be replaced at the connection. You may get lucky by tightening the fitting but do not over do it. You can break the line or it may be impossible to remove at a later date.

Be sure to leak test the system after any repair.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update: changed out all o rings and tightened all fittings. Got system evacuated then cleared all codes, soon as I cleared the ACM. code for low refrigerant the compressor engaged for about 2 min then shut off. About 5 min later it engaged again but then stopped working. System has 2lbs in it now but no luck again. Just got back home and disconnected neg batt port and am going to let it chill for 30 min or so. If this doesn't work then what, any suggestions? If you guys get sick of me yall can tell me to be quiet but I must say yall have been very helpful so thanks for all the quick helpful advice.

It is if you don't have a car phone, but there is an override code in the IPM that tells it whether or not you have a phone. If you don't have a phone it's not supposed to interrogate the phone module, which isn't there and won't respond. If you had a phone and someone took out the modules or pulled the fuse that would cause what you are seeing, or it might cause a hard U1255. This is one of the reasons I keep asking you to tell me where in the code reading process that the U1255 CURRENT comes up, because it can come up multiple places and it means very different things in different places. One of those places means a dead or disconnected ACM (which is in the A/C controller) and can be telling you why your A/C isn't working right, but we seem to have gotten past that and into the A/C plumbing. My old car has a phone and I just turned it off and left it alone.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

When I run the codes there is nothing current in PCM, next is IPC and it shows U1255 current. I can tell whomever had the car before me may have had a phone hooked up but it's no longer there but I checked the fuses and there is one plugged in where it says phone. I've always seen the option to overide a code but o never did bc I wasn't sure what it meant. Tried evacuating ac system again today, cleared all codes and compressor cut on then cut right off twice. Acm code ran the low refrigerant ac compressor off but compressor didn't engage for long.

The hard U1255 from the IPC may be caysed by the missing phone module. Changing the overrides in the IPC is not for the faint of heart. The FSM wanrs at one point that you can easily screw up at one point and brick the IPM, requiring a new IPC from the dealer ($$$). If you are not of a mind too take it to a dealer to get the phone take off the option list, we will reproduce the instructions from the FSM for this.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

• 1 month later...

My 93 Cadillac El Dorado 4.6 litre TC was leaking Freon and had a bad compressor about four months ago. I had received the two error messages "A/C Compressor shut off" and "Refrigerant low". Leaks were fixed, Freon added and the compressor was replaced with a rebuilt one along with two other a/c components from one of the local auto parts store. Everything worked fine.

Now, four months later, suddenly the same error messages come on as soon as I hit the a/c switch. I have brought it to two different mechanics and they are both stumped as to why the a/c compressor will not come on. They have checked all of the switches, added 1 pound of Freon, checked the fuses and relays, checked for leaks, and everything seems to be okay other then a slight bearing noise coming from the rebuilt a/c compressor.

I have not attempted to clear the two a/c error codes/messages mentioned above.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Is this system still R-12 or has it been converted to R-134a?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Once the codes are thrown that cause the DIC messages, the compressor won't turn on until the codes are cleared. You can do it yourself through the A/C controls (see link in my signature block, search here, or we will repeat the process on this Topic) or you can disconnect the battery ground terminal for a few seconds. If it throws the codes again and it's got enough Freon in it, then you may want to look at the warranty on your new compressor.

The system uses thermisters in the high and low side lines to determine the refrigerant temp. Often times, a lesser amount of R-134a is installed as the "correct charge" vs. the original spec. for R-12. This will trip the codes and shut the system down.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have the following error codes: A047 current. Also A011 and A012 history. I tried to clear the codes and was unable to. Compressor immediately shuts off. This occurred both before and after 1 pound of refrigerant was added. Could the compressor be the culprit?

I have the following error codes: A047 current. Also A011 and A012 history. I tried to clear the codes and was unable to. Compressor immediately shuts off. This occurred both before and after 1 pound of refrigerant was added. Could the compressor be the culprit?

I would have the refrigerant recovered, then evacuate the system with a vacuum pump and charge the correct amount of refrigerant into the system. I believe 2.0 lbs. of refrigerant is the spec. for your car. If the shop is adding only 1.6 lbs. (80% charge) the system is low almost a half of pound and that's why the code keeps setting.

The compressor is not the issue...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

A047 Low Refrigerant Charge CURRENT
A011 High Side Temperature Sensor Circuit
A012 Low Side Temperature Sensor Circuit

KHE is right, the Freon apparently is either low or there is a mix of R12 and A134A. And, there seems to be a problem with the wiring or connectors to the temperature sensors on the Freon line against the firewall to the right of center.

Make sure the connectors on the high and low side thermistors (temperature sensors) are plugged in properly. The history codes may indicate a poor connection.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived